Better Batteries Charge Up

Discussion in 'BEV or Battery Electric Vehicle' started by xcel, Aug 6, 2008.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

EESTOR - "I hope it works like a charm, because it will be a lot easier than fuel cells and batteries if it comes to pass."

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Honda_FCX_Clarity.jpg[/xfloat]Tyler Hamilton – Technology Review – Aug. 5, 2008

2009 Honda FCX Clarity.

What if all the next generation FCV’s, PHEV’s and BEV’s were powered by an EESTOR ESU’s instead? -- Ed.

A Texas startup says that it has taken a big step toward high-volume production of an ultracapacitor-based energy-storage system that, if claims hold true, would far outperform the best lithium-ion batteries on the market.

Dick Weir, founder and chief executive of EEStor, a startup based in Cedar Park, TX, says that the company has manufactured materials that have met all certification milestones for crystallization, chemical purity, and particle-size consistency. The results suggest that the materials can be made at a high-enough grade to meet the company's performance goals. The company also said a key component of the material can withstand the extreme voltages needed for high energy storage.

"These advancements provide the pathway to meeting our present requirements," Weir says. "This data says we hit the home run."

EEStor claims that its system, called an electrical energy storage unit (EESU), will have more than three times the energy density of the top lithium-ion batteries today. The company also says that the solid-state device will be safer and longer lasting, and will have the ability to recharge in less than five minutes. Toronto-based ZENN Motor, an EEStor investor and customer, says that it's developing an EESU-powered car with a top speed of 80 miles per hour and a 250-mile range. It hopes to launch the vehicle, which the company says will be inexpensive, in the fall of 2009… [rm]http://www.technologyreview.com/Energy/21171/[/rm]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  2. donee

donee Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Well "hit a home run" is a bit much. They have yet to make their first stack. I think they are on second base.

I have seen ceramics Insulation Resistance vary a whole bunch due to enviormental conditions, from TerraOhms down to tens of MegaOhms. Does not sound like allot but it is for a stack like this one. That is allot of wasted heat at 5000 volts, or whatever they are talking about. The engineering of this stack is going to be an exhaustive exercise. They are totally downplaying that aspect of things. Which is raising my BS meter somewhat.

It would be better if they tried walk, before running. Something like a 400 DCWV super cap for a Prius like , or even SUV Hybrid like vehicle would be such a venture.

3. Shiba3420

Shiba3420 Well-Known Member

Don't really understand the supercap mechanism, but from what I have been reading about, It seems that you have a high risk of failure during manufacturing of certain bits of the cap, and if any of those bits fails, the whole cap is worthless. Makes me wonder if they found a way to isolate segments from the whole so they can build with a certain % of failure and then just isolate those bits....sort of like some CPUs, with the classic example being quad cores where if 1 or 2 cores contains an error, they just turn them off and sell as triple or duel core.

4. GreenBlues

GreenBlues Well-Known Member

I agree. They can impress all they want with a high voltage number. But it is the watts that will need to meet the road. Tell us how many amps at that voltage. I know what damage can be done with 480vdc (it will vaporize the end of tool or a battery post in an instant scattering molten steel and lead everywhere). I can not imagine the safety aspects of 5000vdc.

5. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I sincerely hope they have what they claim they have. I'd much rather not have to rely on chemical reactions for my energy storage. :)

6. koreberg

koreberg Junior Member

So supposedly they're almost 1 year away from launch, but they have no prototypes vehicles to drive around and show off. All i've heard is rhetoric about what these things could do, or should do to hybrid or electric vehicles. Yet no proof.
    People were test driving the tesla roadster back in 2006, and it just started selling this year.

This is all smoke and mirrors for vc money.

7. hendu

hendu Well-Known Member

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" -Carl Sagan
    It would seem to make electric cars the main stream within a few years, I guess we will see if it is another cold fusion or not.

8. Radio_tec

Radio_tec Tell AAA, Saving gas saves America!

I've been following this story for two years through Toronto Star reporter Tyler Hamilton's articles on his blog. It amounts to this. We have all the ingredients for the cake. All the ingredients for making the cake are the purest and of highest quality. But since the cake hasn't been made and baked yet there's no guarantee that the results will be the ones desired.

Carl Sagan's sage wisdom is still relevant. However, in fairness, EEStor has gone out of its way to avoid publicity, has no publicly traded stock and at the insistance of Zenn Motors CEO Ian Clifford, EEStor's strategic partner, has implemented 3rd party benchmarks to verify progress of the Hypercapacitor storage device along it's development path. Also Lockeed-Martin signed a partnership agreement with EEStor on January 8, 2008. This is the same day that Morton L. Topfer Chairman from Dell Computer's board joined with EEStor. There's something Lockeed-Martin likes about EEStor to go into a partnership with them. So is there something real here? I don't know. This thing is sure. Only time will reveal the real truth about EEStor's Hypercapacitors.

9. Shiba3420

Shiba3420 Well-Known Member

If the company is for real, I suspect they have already made the technology work which would explain certain contracts. The problem now shouldn't be making the technology work, it should be making work at a price that's effective. A million dollar super battery is very reasonable for a military satalite, but not so much for average joe's car.

10. run500mph

run500mph Well-Known Member

This is good. At the very minimum, the race is on for new junk. Let the nerds have their war, so we can all benefit. American ingenuity always rises to the occasion.

11. Xringer

Xringer Older Member