TSX tomato tossing thread - no hybrid

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by 2TonJellyBean, Aug 5, 2008.

1. 2TonJellyBean

2TonJellyBean Well-Known Member

No NAH here... the bay area dealers wouldn't play too far with the pricing of a 2008 NAH for early August and to me it was a cool car with a tight trunk and questionable quality. For less money we decided on an Acura TSX auto with NAV. THe NAV and a sunroof were must haves for her. She'd driven a plain Jane stick Accord for 7 years. Anyway, it's a high compression 2.4 litre Euro bodied Accord that has to wind out too far for HP yet only has a 5 speed auto, however it does have great paddle shifters. The slick 6 speed has no highway legs for economy - she'll do better in an auto.

It'll be a while before I'm relocated or even visiting my family in California. Anyway, we tried to buy a hybrid and had it been September when she started instead of August, we may well have ended up with a 2009 Altima Hybrid. Yearend cars are never a good deal unless you drive it to the ground. I'm not sure how many would want an aging hybrid if it started have big problems in addition to the usual. I'll try and get her to track it. She says the commute is nice. We'll be trying it on regular if allowable.

2. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

The TSX is a sharp car. It will be interesting to see what can be pulled from it. The sport touring design will make it tough to keep your foot off the floor.

3. GreenVTEC

GreenVTEC Well-Known Member

Where do you live if you don't mind my asking?

The Nissan should be lower in cost compared to a new TSX... unless this is a used model or Canada?

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi 2Ton:

___Once the HCH-II review is up, I am going to ask for an 09 TSX with a stick as I suspect it may do even better than the 09 Corolla XRS we had a few weeks ago? Still wish the iDTEC were here but this one will be just a primer if we can get it ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. 2TonJellyBean

2TonJellyBean Well-Known Member

msirach, it sounds like it takes forever to wind up so I don't think we'll be hotrodding it. I'm not sure how my wife will adhere to breakin procedures. Hondas don't have much for breakin requirements unlike Hyundai which was 55 and under for 1250 miles.

GreenVTEC, the car's in Silicon Valley. We're moving there from near Toronto.

Wayne, the stick should do well with P&G although the motor is a whacky 200 and a few horsepower once its all wound up with not much torque type of tune. I think I read the TSX turns 2800 rpm at 100 KPH (MPH) which makes the auto at 2100 rpm a better highway vehicle for the average driver.

I'm not sure if the auto tranny in it can FAS but the steering is electric and similar in design to what the NSX had.

6. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Interesting. I had the opportunity to take a TLS 6spd for a run on the highway a few weeks ago... averaging 62mph or so with P&G I managed low 40s from it with the underinflated high performance summer tires. I maintained that over some short trips in residential and downtown type driving a bit later without too much trouble. Gears 1-5 were a little on the short side but 6th was delightful!! Just about what 5th in the Insight is. :)

7. jfbrown42

jfbrown42 Member

Another Acura driver! Welcome to CleanMPG.com buddy.