Watch the voltage for fas?

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by bomber991, Aug 4, 2008.

1. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

Now that I'm going to start doing FASing, how low can I let the voltage go before I need to start worrying? Is there a pretty general number for every car, or is this something that's more car specific?

2. lamebums

lamebums Member

It's a manual, so pop the clutch. :) At longer lights I'll cut to the parking lights to save electricity. I don't let it go below 11.5 volts if that helps? Cranks just fine every time.

3. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

Oh I plan to be bump starting it most of the time, just wondering what I need for cranking it up. Thanks.

4. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

shh...I've cranked sub 11 before, but that's bad for your batter, If it goes below 11.5 I'll start watching, if it goes below 11, then I wont. I fas all night and day and never have a problem with my voltage dropping below 11.5/11.6

5. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I also don't like to see anything below mid-11's. Once I get there, I'll start NICE-ON instead of FAS. It's usually only an issue in winter, with headlights for commuting.

6. nissynis

nissynis NC Attorney

I've consistenly heard the 11.5 volt figure from folks here. Turns out that you rarely get down there. I've never cracked 11.9, even at night, and that's only after a FAS of over a mile, with headlights on.

7. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Yours holds up better than mine, then. At night, a 1-mile fas is almost a guaranteed 11.5/11.6 volts.

I know a few members here are using deep-cycle batteries for this exact purpose - they hold voltage better and live longer with low voltage.

8. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Raises hand. ;)

9. lamebums

lamebums Member

My commute is DWL, Fas, DWL, Fas. If for some reason I'm driving it at night (a late run to the library for example) then I have two miles of DWL and then two miles of Fas (then repeat). I've seen the battery drop down as low as 11.2 but I only let it do that because I could have popped the clutch at highway speed.

10. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Look at you, FAS-ing like your life depended on it:D. FINALLY!...how long'd it take ya?

11. lamebums

lamebums Member

I think some point in March I started? Especially in the winter when the fuel is just being dumped into the engine to keep it warm, NICE-ON coasting is damned near useless.