FE Test after Wheels, Spoilers Added to HCH II: Pics & Techniques

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by tigerhonaker, Jul 11, 2006.

1. tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker Platinum Contributor

Hi All,

I just thought that today I would go in a little early so I could do a test on FE for my HCH II. So after changing out my Wheels with the Weds Light Weight Wheels.

[​IMG]

And the Honda Lower Body Spoilers.

[​IMG]

I reset my Trip A Odometer in the Driveway and drove to the dealership to my parking spot 4.5 Miles and here is the FE. :D I can live with this. Hard to believe this is in the city and No-Warm up of the engine. Just start it up and away I went. I was just not sure what to expect so this was a Very-Rewarding result for me. I guess you can have (Your-Cake-and-Eat-it-TOO). :p

[​IMG]

Satisified,

Terry

2. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

Re: FE Test after Wheels, Spoilers Added to HCH II

hm terry you should try crusing at 60 mph and see if you get the same INSTANT FE as tarbell's postings. if you can maintain 60 mph by barely giving any throttle (not to the point you'll enter ev mode) then maybe your mpg meter will spike! i'm guessing 60 mpg plus with your new areodynamic mods.

but i notice the wheels have holes ;P but they look better at least.

ps **** i want your car, it looks very areodynamically sexy.

3. tigerhonaker

Phil,

We agree on the Looks. :D

Terry

4. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

hot buggy ya got there, terry. i really like how that 06 looks, and you have only improved it. now if it only had a manual transmission

5. tigerhonaker

Laurie,

Yeah, I use to Never-Ever buy any Car without the Manual Trans. in it. But traffic now here is a {Nightmare} and that is putting it Mildly. :(

So the CVT works for me here in the land of More & More & More Vehicles every day. :(

Terry

6. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Terry:

___It is way too early to tell anything about a mods help or hindrance wrt to achieving higher FE … Most aero kits add frontal area and an even higher Cd in fact. Lighter weight wheels can help but it would not take a normal 40 - 44 mpg commuting segment to 54 +. There are far too many variables involved for a one off segment to prove much other then the enthusiasm of said owner going through the roof ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

7. tigerhonaker

All Wayne, Be enthusiastic, Please :p

Terry

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  8. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

Looks nice Terry. I would have one if there was a 5MT in it. The sedans slick out nice. Getting mine tinted in the am. :)

And those wheels look awsome!!!!

9. tigerhonaker

psy,

You old dog you are just saying the right things that touch my Heart. :p

The wheels look even better to be honest with you when you see them in person. The HCH II in the Sedan (Only-Way-It-Comes) does have the Aero-Look when you do the Lower Body Spoilers and then Throw on the Bad Boy Wheels. The car is now like anyone would like one to be. Hybrid or not it is a true {Eye-Catcher}. Psy it kinda makes me feel good that others are now looking at the car not because it is a Hybrid, but because it is so sharp looking, Period.

Thanks,

Terry

BTW, Wish you could see it in person. :D

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  10. tigerhonaker

Okey (Wayne) here is todays trip to the Dealership. I am going to try to see what the FE is through this Thursday. Just to see if I can get Better than the EPA FE Rating. I know what the HCH II got on the same trip to the dealer before these Updates. So I just want to see if I can get the same kind of results after the changes. {With Me Trying} No-A/C

Here is today, Tuesday July 11, 2006 Morning Commute:

[​IMG]

Terry

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  11. tigerhonaker

Well everyone it is Wednesday July 12, 2006. The FE test on the HCH II continues. I am trying to see if after the Mods were done to my HCH II can I get above the City EPA FE Ratings. The answer to me seems at this time to be, YES. The only purpose for this test is to see if I use all the Knowledge that I have gotten from www.CleanMPG.com can I get if I want to take the time, and the effort get above the EPA FE Rating for the HCH II. Alot of people think that after you change the wheels, add the Lower Body Spoilers that the HCH II will not be able to get great FE still. I just wanted to know for myself what the bottom line is. So here is todays Test-Results.

Remember, that I am running 50 Lbs. of air in all 4-Tires and also using Hypermiling Techniques learned from this Forum. No-A/C, No quick starts, very slow acceleration from a stop. Top speed in this very short trip is 50 MPH and down to 30 MPH and in between. For the most part on take offs from a stop I am only going up to like 1,500 RPM and then dropping it back if possible to maintain the slower speeds. I am not Pre-Warming the engine. I reset the odometer in the driveway to Zero and then do the 4.5 to 4.6 mile commute to the office. The drive is up and down hills, stop signs, stop lights, traffic, so this is not a Favorable Commute for FE to say the least. These MPG Pics you see are for real and believe me when I say this. This is not easy to do under these conditions, Period. The other drivers give me some very-hard-looks, blow there horns from the stop lights, stop-signs etc. So you really have to be willing to put up with alot to even give this Test a try. It is not fun from the standpoint of the (Other-Drivers) and their Reactions to you. :( However, the result of todays drive is below:

[​IMG]

Terry

12. tigerhonaker

FE Test for Very Short City Commute Continues. Today is Thursday July 13, 2006. Here is a Pic. of todays drive into work. Just keep this in mind. This is starting the car drive it off and today through heavy traffic, stop signs, stop lights, bumper to bumper traffic. Hills top speed was 50 MPH slower to 30 MPH and as said earlier stop signs, stop lights, traffic.

[​IMG]

Will try to do one more day of this Test. Friday july 14, 2006 Then do links to other Forums for other HCH II owners to compare their short commutes.

Terry

13. tigerhonaker

Re: FE Test after Wheels, Spoilers Added to HCH II: Very Short 4.5-4.6 Miles in City:

This is Friday and a full 5-Days of driving the exact same route every day to work. Today I pulled out all the stops and used the Hypermiling Knowledge to see what (IMO) the maximum FE to the office could be. So I got up as early as possible and drove in to the office, same route as other 4-days. I see no need to go over the same circumstances of the commute since that has been covered in the other Post. However, I think in all Fairness to who reads this, you will have to practice the Methods that were written in the following Article by Tarabell on the HCH II for getting the maximum FE out of it. Any of the methods that you use will increase your FE in your HCH II. Good luck with your HCH II's and I hope this 1-Week FE test and the Link provided {Below} will add to Your FE in the Future. :D

[​IMG]
    Adapting Basic Hypermiling Techniques to the HCH-II

Section I - Setup, Driving Routine, and FE Testing

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid
    See This Amazing Vehicle at "Hybridfest 2006" · Slide Show · Next image »
    [​IMG]
    The HCH-II - Honda’s most fuel efficient 4-door sedan

This article describes my personal experience in adapting basic hypermiling techniques to the HCH-II.
    More advanced techniques such as FAS , Drafting, and P&G are not covered here but hopefully there will be a future article on these as well. Owners of earlier HCH models might also find some information here applicable to their automobile but this article is really meant to be specific to the HCH-II.

I divided the article into 3 sections for better understanding and readability. I hope you find the same.

Driving the HCH-II involves much more of your senses than driving other non-hybrid and even some hybrid automobiles: Not only are you watching your instrumentation closely, you are also observing the road, timing traffic lights, noticing terrain, listening to the engine and gear train, and feeling the car's actions from the seat of your pants, as well as through your foot all at the same time!

This is a "Very-Detailed" Article and {Written} in (Layman's Terms).
    This Article took the Author, Tarabell, and the Editor, Xcel, literally Days and Days to type and Edit for Final Print. It is Very-Long but Extremely Beneficial to {All-HCH II-Owners}.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306

BTW;

You are getting the Very-Best of information here. Pictures of a Loaded-Up HCH II with After-Market-Alloy-Wheels, Under Body Honda Spoilers, FE Pics for 1-Week.
    Then this Wonderful Down-to-Earth Article on the HCH II. Enjoy All [​IMG]
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306

[​IMG]

Terry

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  14. fileaudio

fileaudio heavy foot ultramegamiler

great post.... Id like to read more about this expetiments