Ford Ranger 2.3 engine: Speed vs. FE

Discussion in 'Ford' started by carioca1000, Jul 20, 2008.

1. carioca1000

carioca1000 Well-Known Member

Ford Ranger 2.3 engine: Speed vs. mpg vs. RPM

Greetings from Brazil,

I have read the article by Wayne Gerdes Beating the EPA - The Why’s and how to Hypermile.

I was particularly interested in the tables "Constant Speed Tests" at the Section "Speeds destroy FE!".

Question #1

I wonder if there is such data available about my vehicle the Ford Ranger 2.3 double cabine, which does not have a computer trip, at his 5 manual gearings, including its RPM readings.

Question #2

I also wonder if such best mpg result at constant speed is not forcing the gearings and shortening his life cycle?

Results with other engines

For example, Argentinean friends who used the same truck with the 2.8 diesel engine version say that at 5# the best FE speed would be 90 km/h (= 56 mph), but the newest 3.0 diesel engine the best FE speed at 5# would be 120 km/h (= 75 mph). Please refer to: RELACION CONSUMO VELOCIDAD 2.8 TGV, Relacion consumo, velocidad y vueltas en 3.0.

Question #3

I plan to install the Italian BRC Gas Equipment kit - Sequent Plug&Drive, which has a similar behaviour like the hybrid systems, it employs CNG most of the time, but when more power is needed it switches back to gas.

So the best FE speed at the 5 manual gearings and its corresponding RPM readings are expected to be the same when using CNG or gas?

Question #4

How should I best configure the Scangauge II after installing the Italian BRC kit? Which readings would be mandatory to watch in order to improve FE?

Best regards,

Felipe

PS: My last modification of the Ranger: Modificação do banco traseiro da Ranger a la Tabajara

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  2. A024523

A024523 Currently in Training

Hello Felipe. It is great to have someone join this community from Brazil! I am not an expert, but I'll do my best to answer your questions...

Q1 - No, but most vehicles do best somewhere between 40 and 55 MPH in 5th gear

Q2 - I am unsure about diesel engines, but most gas cars acheive best FE at much lower speeds, because air resistence works against you significantly beyond 55 MPH .

Q3 - I don't know about CNG, but for gas engines, the ideal RPM is between 1500 and 2500. Even though you may need to press harder on the gas pedal, less fuel is consumed during acceleration compared to higher RPMs. The following thread has excellent data and graphs on this topic... http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12356

Q4 - I don't have a sgii but I recommend that you post a new thread here for get feedback from those who have it... http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86

Good luck!

3. carioca1000

A024523,

Many thanks in advance for your attention and patience.

My vehicle is the simplest with no computer trip. I have ordered SG II with the Extra Cable at the site for US$ 189,00, but fears that it would be more expensive because they do not charged its shipping costs to Brazil. I have emailed them twice and no answer yet received.

Please will anyone correct me if I make mistakes.

Q #1

I am trying to use 4th gear at 60 km/h (≈ 37 MPH) and 80 km/h (≈ 50 MPH) at 5th gear, since they are the most common urban radars. At these speeds and gears the Ranger works at 1,700 - 2,200 RPM.

Q #2

I have heard that diesel engines work with more torque at lower RPM than gas engines. So the profil of torque x RPM is different.

I would like very much to see these graphics about the Ford 2.3 gas engine. If anyone knows, where I can find them at the Internet, please let me know.

Q #3

Thank you very much. Very intersting readings. I will read it very carefully. If I already had the SG II, it would me much easier, :(!

Q # 4

I am navigating most there at this forum.

Thank you!

4. A024523

You're welcome, I was hoping that someone else would jump in with a second opinion, but sometimes folks are intimidated by too many questions on one thread. So you might get more responses if you do one question at a time.

On Q#1 those would be good shift points on a gas car, but diesel may be slightly different. Your Sgii will help guide you because you can compare resulting mpg of 4th gear versus 5th specific speeds, such as 60 km/h.

On Q#2, I believe that you are correct, but I have not seen any data on it.

5. billy

billy Well-Known Member

Hi Carioca1000; I have a 2006 Ranger with the 2.3 liter and 5-speed. I can add some things:

1) Aerodynamic drag is a huge factor. For maximum fuel economy, 5th gear speeds in the range of 34-41 miles per hour are best. The Ranger has a big frontal area and pushes an awful lot of air. Really, the slower the better. But if driving that slow is not practical on many highways, you may need to drive faster.

2) Using a very low rpm in 5th gear is fine, if not under much of a load. If going uphill or pulling something heavy, you should downshift to 4th.

3) The 2.3 liter Ford engine is pretty efficient (for a Ford) especially at lower rpm's. So once again, the Ranger is pushing too much air, so anything speed above about 37 MPH, aero is the biggest factor!

6. carioca1000

Dear A024523,

Thank you very much for your attention and patience.

On Q#1, let's wait for SG II. I do not know yet how I will be able to configure it when I install the CNG conversion kit. I have also no idea how I will manage FE with 2 fuels (gas and CNG) using SG II.

On Q#2, I quit considering the diesel because diesel engine cars cost here at least US$ 15,000 plus and diesel fuel was always with much lower priced than gas, because the government artificially lowers its value. But now they are still less than gas, but the price difference is much lesser. I think the cost of extracting and processing diesel with lesser polluting emissions is increasing its comsumer's price. With its higher buying price diesel engine cars also pay proportionally more taxes and insurance. Actual diesel engines here are expected to work with B5 (diesel + 5% biodiesel). They said it could also work with B20, but I fell not secure about it. In figures, diesel mpg is "higher" then gas mpg though. But it does not compensate the other higher costs.

Best regards,

Felipe

7. carioca1000

Dear Billy,

1) Yes, aerodynamic is helping me, because with the increasing numbers of radar and traffic signals everyone is forced to drive at lower speeds. On urban highways I try to drive at 80 km/h (≈ 50 MPH) at 5th gear, you would have serious troubles here if you use lesser. On faster highways for also safe reasons I am forced to go at 100 km/h (≈ 61 MPH) at 5th gear. I suspect that driving these faster highways is always not so efficient.

2) Going uphill in the city of Belo Horizonte, where I live, is not so easy at 4th gear. I always try to drive quicker before getting uphill so that I am not forced to use the same RPMs at lower gears. I do not know if this is correct.

3) Indeed, 60 km/h (≈ 37 MPH) is my favorite speed!

4) My Ranger manual recommends 30/30 psi for half load and 35/50 psi for full load. The maximum tire pression indicated in its sidewall is 50 psi. I normally use 30/30. What do you think? Should I increase the tire pressure or not?

Best Regards,

Felipe

8. A024523

YES! , exactly what I do for big/long hills.

YES , check out this great thread that has a poll that shows the majority of us use max PSI or even a little higher...
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10881

9. carioca1000

Dear A024523,

Many thanks for your attention and patience.

YES! , exactly what I do for big/long hills.

Thank you!

YES , check out this great thread that has a poll that shows the majority of us use max PSI or even a little higher...
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10881[/QUOTE]

I would try to raise first both tires to 40/40.

How and which time of the day do you take tire measurings? What do you use to get these readings?

I have till now just a 12V tire inflator and a pencil tire gauge.

I found it at the Net: Digital Fuel Mizer. Is it worth? What do you think?

Regards,

Felipe

10. A024523

I always measure PSI when the tires are cold, usually mornings before I drive it. I use a digital guage, but a pencil guage should be plenty accurate. More important, would be to regularly check it, at least twice per month.

I am very sceptical because there are numerous gadgets and additives that have recently been solicited that are usually bogus or scams. The scan guage is the only device that really helps, because it helps train you to improve your gas milage, since you can quickly see the results of your actions. I would recommend that you focus on hypermiling techniques, as the best way to improve your gas milage. :) In a few months, I went from 30 MPG to 50 MPG, by using hypermiling techniques and working hard to stick with it.

11. fixedgear

fixedgear Member

Bon dia, Carioca!

I have a 2002 Ranger, 4cyl, 2.3L, 5spd, gasolina. A scan gage will help, even if you can't get a true CNG conversion factor for it. I find that if I have throttle position (TPS), MPG and %max load (LOD) displayed, I can get a good idea of what's going on.

Terrain has a lot to do with it. One speed going down is much better than the same speed going up a hill, of course. You will learn, though, that very small changes in your foot position can have a big effect on efficiency, and only the scan gage can show you this. The difference is too slight to hear, but you'll see it on the display.

Using higher pressure in the tires is quite safe. In fact, it is common practice to use high pressure when racing on standard tires. The car will actually handle and stop better.

Best of luck!

Ciao

12. carioca1000

Dear Ed,

Could you please suggest me one that I could buy via Internet? How realiable are their readings? Do the digital gauges need to be recalipered often?

Why do manufacters not recommend the maximum pressure tire figure?

I thought the same. I am waiting Wayne for noting me the price+shipping cost to Brazil. I will focus on the hypermilling techniques as much as I can. Though I can not be a pure Hypermiller. For example, I can not leave air conditioning because for security reasons I drive with all my windows closed. But I promise I will do my best.

You help me a lot and am very very thankful to you!

Best regards,

Felipe

13. carioca1000

Dear fixedgear,

Using only CNG as fuel, consuming fuel conversion factor from km/l to km/m3 is usually 1.3, i. e., if your car uses 10 km/l, you should drive 13 km/m3. I will first use gas because I will probably install CNG later. Meanwhile I will get more knowledge wih SG II and will try what do you suggest me.

The CNG system of 5th generation will complicate the consuming fuel calculations, because it employs most of the time CNG and when more power is needed it switches to gas. It seems like a hybrid system. I will also check on the Net if there is a digital gauge which could measure separately and instantenously the CNG mpg.

I hope so. Belo Horizonte and the state of Minas Gerais are a hilly region.

Why do manufacters not recommend it? At the owner's manual of my double cabine Ranger they list 30/30 half load and 35/50 full load. Is it the same in your owner's manual?
    How much do you usually use at yr front/rear tires?

Best Regards,

Felipe

14. A024523

I got a digital guage as a gift, but won't recommend mine because the batteries always go dead. It's supposed to be accurate +/- 1 PSI, that's not much better than the pencil guage.

I did read another thread where it was explained to me that manufacters tend to recommend the lowest tire pressure that is barely safe enough, because the lower the pressure, the more comfortable/smoothe the ride. And if the customer enjoys the test-drive, that helps sell the car. That's also why they often recommend to increase the tire pressure when hauling heavy loads.

15. carioca1000

Many thanks in advance for your attention and patience.

I will try to put gradually more psis and test how it goes.

I went from Belo Horizonte to Rio (ca. 480 km, 300 miles), the road was very irregular, sometimes full of holes, at the first 100 km/60 miles where heavy trucks with irons, but most of the time like a carpet. Always our rightest side is most irregular because of the heavy trucks who use them most. They are usually carrying above the permitted loads and fiscalization of these irregularities are not present.

In this situation I am forced to drive faster to get the leftest side of the road and sacrificing FE. Otherwise I tried to drive confortable at 5th gear even in small hilling roads.

The closing of the Ranger US assembly was postponed to 2011: old soldiers never die, they only fade away!

Thank you very much for the gauge tips.

Best regards,

Felipe

16. carioca1000

I have ordered/paid the SG II plus Extra Cable from one of LLC's authorized retailers Never Enough Auto. They were sending me them today.

I have also decided not to change tire pressures of my Ranger. Mainly because the bad conditions of the roads here. I suspect it could sacrifice other systems like suspension, motor, etc.

As I said before, unfortunately I will not be a pure Hypermiller, but let's see what I can get in FE.

I am also thinking in Autotap and/or CarChip.

Concerning CarChip, if the folks at LLC produced a SG with a datalogger, I would really not need CarChip.

Anyone has got to attach a datalogger at SG II?

Regards,

Felipe

17. carioca1000

Finally I got the SG II.

I will fillup gas on Sunday and continue the setup.

I have used it today for a while and already placed it.

Without the Scangauge and using some hypermilling techniques I have increased my fuel economy from 16 MPG to 21 MPG at my urban daily routine.

I will try to improve it with SG II.

I am very happy with it.

Thank you very very much for your support

Regards,

Felipe

18. carioca1000

Please, how do I setup CUTOFF and MAF on my Ranger 2.3?

I tried to fill up gas today and begin the setup, but the pump was erratic and it sopped before the tank was full. So I will have to rebegin this setup next time I fill up again.

Please, how do I setup CUTOFF and MAF on my Ranger 2.3?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Regards,

Felipe

19. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Felipe:

___For Fuel Cut, look at your idle TPS setting. Once you know that, you can adjust your Fuel Cut off to 4 above that number to start. Use the < or > to adjust that setting up or down. If you see 9999 mpg while under a very light load on the highway, move it up 2 until that activity stops. Only when coasting down with your foot off the gas should you see 9999 mpg.

___Can you tell me what your version number is please? More –> More –> More –> Version?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

20. carioca1000

Hi Wayne

My version is 3.15HB.

[​IMG]

My TPS stands when idle stops at 18, so I will try first 22 instead of the 26 as standard cutoff.

[​IMG]

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Which gauges may I use mainly at the Ranger and why? Any Xgauge would be recomended?

Is it worth there to install a CNG copnversion kit to a 2.3 Liter? Why?

Regards,

Felipe