3rd Generation Kia Rios (2006+)

Discussion in 'Kia' started by HyperMiler, Jul 17, 2008.

1. HyperMiler

HyperMiler Active Member

Just wondering if there were any other 2006+ Kia Rio owners around so we can share some ideas/tips?

:Banane35:

2. aca2983

aca2983 Well-Known Member

I like the Rio5! It's cute in a dorky way, and you can (or could) get them in orange, which is a plus in my book. But like many mini/cheap cars- no moonroof + no cruise control = no sale.

There was a MotorTrend or Car & Driver comparo article that described the car thusly. "It's kind of like finding a dollar in a bag of Doritos. It won't change your life but it's a pleasant surprise".

I bet the next generation will be great. Kia is rising fast.

3. HyperMiler

HyperMiler Active Member

Yeah, the Kia is not my dream car, but being a full-time college student and travelling about 125 miles a day. The price and its very good fuel economy could not be beat...in my book. The Kia brand has been growing stronger and stronger, especially since Hyundai bought them...surprisingly.

4. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

Hey! What's wrong with the Hyundai ;). I've got my bases covered and own one of each brand.

5. HyperMiler

HyperMiler Active Member

lol, no nothing at all. An Accent was actually my second choice if I couldn't find a Rio. They're pretty much the same car anyway. The interior, engine, etc. is identical.

6. Ophbalance

The reason I'd go for the Rio over the Accent is (don't know if this has changed) I'd rather have a 4 door hatch over a 2 door hatch. But then, I've got kids, and it's a right pain in the arse to put a kid in a car seat in a 2 door.

7. HyperMiler

HyperMiler Active Member

True, the Rio5 is a 4-door hatch.

8. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

We're actually looking into a Kia Rio. The local dealer advertises base models for $7995, which with the Hyundai warrantee makes an attractive offer. It'd have to be an automatic for my Mom though. But, I think the Rio is actually one of the better looking cars on offer here.

9. sailordave

sailordave Well-Known Member

The Hyundai Accent is either a four door sedan with trunk or a two door hatchback. Same engine and transmission as the Rio. I like the Rio5 more than the Rio sedan. Co-worker loves her two door Accent. Says she gets much better mpg than the window sticker claims.

10. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

8k??? how many miles on it??

11. Ophbalance

It's new. It won't have an auto at that price though, and no power anything. It may have A/C, but I've not looked into the specs in a long time. The problem is, hardly any of the dealers carry one that stripped.

12. HyperMiler

HyperMiler Active Member

I bought mine for $8995, has A/C...which I never use now lol, no power anything, not even floormats, automatic transmission, and it had 26,215 miles on it. Not too bad, especially with the low APR of 5.something% This car brought my annual fuel cost down about $3K so I'm actually saving money even after my monthly payments/fees/insurance increase/etc. by buying a new car.

13. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Brand new, 0 miles. They also say you can push, pull, or drag in any old trade, running or not, and get $4k for trade value, AND, if you have a job and $149, you automatically qualify for financing (no comment on rates :rolleyes: )

14. DocOc

DocOc Well-Known Member

I'm looking into the possibility of buying a loaded kia rio 5 sx for $20000CAD (not in the near future). The prices in Canada are usually higher than the US when it comes to cars even though the currency is almost on par. the base rio 5 ex is $14000, so i think that it's worth to have all the eye candy and features for the extra $6000. my next option is a corolla, which is somewhat more expensive.

15. Lugnuts001

Lugnuts001 Well-Known Member

I got a Kia Rio as a rental for this weekend. I'll have to see how it goes. Considering the 08EPA rating is 27/32, you're already doing really well.

16. HyperMiler

HyperMiler Active Member

Yeah, I'm pretty surprised how it's doing so far. High of 44.5 MPG out of only the 3 tanks I've had so far since I bought it. Shooting for 50MPG eventually.

17. korbynlehr

korbynlehr Active Member

any updates?