2008 HCH2 Accessories and FE

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by Data_Ranger, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Data_Ranger

Data_Ranger Member

I recently purchased my 2008 HCH2 and I am loving it! When I purchased it, I didn't know the specifics about hypermileage and maximizing FE.

With that being said I also purchased accessories for the Civic and now I am concerned that will take a hit on my FE. Speficially, I purchased the fog lights, bass package and the interior illumination.

Does anyone have an idea about how much these accessories will effect FE?

Thank you very much!

2. msantos

msantos Eco Accelerometrist

Hi Data_Ranger:

I can attempt to give you a rough idea.

Fog lights: They can be a power hog mainly because they'll be feeding from the existing 12V subsystem which in itself has very little to no power headroom left. My advice is to keep them off as often as you can - especially if you are seeking to maximize your FE.

Bass System: While it still has a tiny but measurable impact on the 12V system it really depends to the actual output power levels you set. The louder and richer the sound is, the higher the consumption and impact on the FE.

The interior illumination: I would not worry about this one at all. The power drain is too small and only measurable if you are in the mood to split hairs over it.

Cheers;

MSantos

3. Data_Ranger

Data_Ranger Member

Thank you MSantos for the information. It certainly clarified what I had thought: It will certainly be a hit, but probably not a major one. At least the bass package is one I can control with regards to power consumed.

4. TurboGP

TurboGP Active Member

So you bought the factory sub woofer? How has the sound quality been? How about the fit and space reduction in the trunk?

Thanks in advance for you answers,

Mike Murphy

5. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Well-Known Member

Mike, the sound quality is great, but when you restart the car without letting the audio system loose power (like during a FAS) the speakers will put out a short thump when they get the surge from the restart (or mine are installed wrong).

The space lost in the trunk is about 2.75 inches tall by about 3 inches deep and about 6 inches wide and it hangs just to the left of the High-Mount stoplight and about half and inch inset from the part of the car where the deck-lid meets up with the base of the rear windshield, I can snap a picture if you want me to.

So I'd say space lost is not noticeable unless you routinely stuff the trunk to full capacity and use every cubic inch of space. The system sounds great I recommend it.

6. TurboGP

TurboGP Active Member

Thanks for the info Kacey. I may purchase the sub woofer.

7. groar

groar X-Frenchy: very

msantos forget to give you the link to its guide : Guide: Installing a solar panel on the HCH-II (step-by-step)

This guide finished to convince me (but did I really need it ?) to bought the same solar panel. I will write a message on what I did with it and the result of a quick calculation.

Denis.