Mom is a dangerous JERK

Discussion in 'Hero and Jerk of the Day' started by OLD SKOOL, Jul 9, 2008.

1. OLD SKOOL

OLD SKOOL Active Member

Yesterday, I was traveling down a main street in town, three lanes each way. I come up on a chrysler mini-van with both side doors open. It was a least 102 Deg. really hot so I get up next to the van and to my suprise the van has four kids in the back. They had seat belts on but still a heck of a risk to take because the AC is busted. In Sacramento it is a running joke that a "Red Light" is just a suggestion... a guy blowin' a light would have wiped out the whole family!!!

2. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

So much for side impact protection. So much for a good portion of its structural integrity in general, I bet. There's a good reason that first responders have to cut the doors out of so many cars after a serious accident: they form an integral component of the car's structure.

3. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

wow...just unbelievable.

4. AlphabetBackward

AlphabetBackward ZYXWVUTSRQPONMLKJIHGFEDCB and A

With the way the skies are looking, I'd rather not have those windows open.

5. ATL

ATL Well-Known Member

and to think, I keep my windows up most of the time to keep the drag down... having the whole door open has to be a noticeable FE hit

6. kwj

kwj I hypermiled this

Okay, so people can still surprise some people.

7. ikea4532

ikea4532 ikea4532

NO SH!T,
    I was picking my boy up from daycare last night and sure enough this mini van driver and had newborn to 3-4 year old babies in it kept the side door open! I was wondering if anyone knew of a call center to report these idiots? I work in harrisburg, pa it was not that hot out to keep the door open!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  8. PILL

PILL Well-Known Member

I take my doors off of my Jeep most of the time and drive doorless, but at least my car has a non unibody frame that doesn't use the doors for structural strength.

9. gfdengine204

gfdengine204 Well-Known Member

The number to call in a case like this, at least in my professional opinion, is 9-1-1. This is the type of motorist in need of not only traffic citations, but a referral to DCFS or whatever state child safety services you may have.

20 yrs in law enforcement, and you'd think nothing would surprise me......got me today, for sure. :mad:

10. Shiba3420

Shiba3420 Well-Known Member

I saw a group of 3 rock crawlers vehicles traveling together. Two of them were caked in mud so they clearly do use the ability. All 3 had the doors removed and all three were really pushing their vehicles beyond the legal, especially the 3rd (clean) vehicle.

Why do they remove the doors? The only things I can think of is better side visablity and to make sure they can get out if vehicle tips over, but it hardley seems worth the additional risk.

11. PILL

PILL Well-Known Member

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

BTW, they aren't rock crawlers if they're covered in mud :D

12. Shiba3420

Shiba3420 Well-Known Member

So why are are doors removed?

13. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

Why make a car with a drop top? Same kind of thing. It's just got a "cool" vibe going for it.

14. PILL

PILL Well-Known Member

If you'd try it you'd know.

15. Ratnose86

Ratnose86 Well-Known Member

Agreed

And, take your doors off to be cool because everyones watching you :rolleyes:

16. fireflyfarm

fireflyfarm Well-Known Member

I used to have a '78 Jeep CJ5. The doors and top wer off all summer, and the windshield was folded down a lot. Just felt great to have a totally open vehicle. I didn't drive far, and it never went over 40 anyway, so the drag didn't matter.
    A MINIVAN, however, isn't designed for the stress of driving with both doors open like that, not to mention the safety of the kids being compromised. There's a sight to see- an old, fatigued van, driving with both doors open, hits a speedbump too hard. "Why won't the doors close?" "How come ther's a big crease across the middle of my roof?" "Why is the middle of the floor touching the ground?"

17. Comrade Rutherford

Comrade Rutherford Hypermiling before term was coined!

I have a minivan with those double-side doors. I would NEVER drive on the road with them open. I would move the van around the yard or a parking lot like that.

My kids do NOT like it when I do... They are smart kids.

18. ronarprfct

ronarprfct Member

Yeah, the double doors both being open is just an open invitation to daredevils on motorcycles :).