Motorcycle Mileage DBase up and running!

Discussion in 'Website news & discussions' started by xcel, Jul 8, 2008.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___A nice little update thanks entirely to Sean (Right Lane Cruiser). Bike owners/riders now have a section of the Mileage DBase all to themselves. I have manually moved every single bike I could find in the entire DBase over to the Bike DBase but if you see any I missed, by all means let me know and I will take care of it ASAP!

___Good Luck and enjoy

___Wayne

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Thanks, Wayne and Sean, for this and all the work you've done on the forums! One small issue and one question:

1) My last three tanks for the bike aren't showing. If it helps, dates are 11/22/07, 5/1/08, and 5/26/08. Not a big deal -- I can re-enter them, but I wanted to let you know.

2) A mystery that no one could solve when I asked about it a year ago: How do bikes end up with EPA numbers in the database? What determines them?

3. xcel

Hi Jim:

___Sorry about the last three tanks issue and I have to assume you have to re-enter them :(

___About bikes receiving EPA numbers. Since bikes are emissions tested on the same (2) EPA cycles as automobiles were (1985 – 2007 EPA city and highway test cycles), by measuring the bagged exhaust gasses for CO2, you can convert back to an mpg figure just as the manufacturers do with automobiles.

___Sean will be working on setting up the bikes to use only the 1985 through 2007 EPA numbers for skilled, expert and Elite levels even on the 08 and beyond bikes but it may be a while before he can fix that one.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

4. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Jim, Wayne is correct -- I don't know what happened to your tanks but they'll have to be reentered. :eek:

As a side note I hope you guys like the new colors in the logs.

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

But who does this conversion and produces the numbers? Is there an official list of motorcycle EPA fuel mileage estimates like there is for cars? I've seen on the EPA's web site various documents related to motorcycle emissions testing, but I've never seen any listing of fuel mileage estimates. Maybe I haven't dug deep enough. :confused:

Besides curiosity, I'm asking because, hopefully, I'd like to upgrade to a bike better suited for touring sometime in the future. Fuel economy will be an important part of my comparison shopping.

6. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Woohoo! That rockets me up to #10 on the charts! :D

7. xcel

Hi Jim:

___Just like the automobile manufacturers, the bike manufacturers certify their bike(s) to meet a certain emissions spec and since they have the NOx, HC’s (NMOG), PM, CO and CO2, they may as well back calculate the FE which they have started doing. You can find many of the FE numbers on the manufacturers web sites as of late but they are not yet mandated by the EPA (yet) so it will be a hunt and peck. When I finish the XT250 Review, I will post Yamaha’s entire lineup with the respective FE next to it. I have heard Honda is fighting this but they will come around with the entire list soon enough if they have not already done so? Harley has posted their bikes numbers and surprisingly, they provide decent FE given the size and design of the engines, and weight of the bikes.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

8. Nice!!!!!!!!

9. 2008Mazda3i

2008Mazda3i Well-Known Member

I can't seem to get mine to work...I have an 03 Kawasaki EX500

10. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

All this motorcycle talk is killing me. I'm going to look at a deal on a Honda Hurricane tomorrow. Hasn't been ridden in a few years and won't start. If I get it, I may get it running and then sell the engine to use the chassis for an EV conversion this winter.

11. xcel

Hi 2008Mazda3i:

___What kind of problems are you having? Entering the bike or a tank?

___Mike, if you can get it running, I think you might like it too much to sell off the ICE ;) When I had my 600 Hurricane (almost two decades ago now), she was good for the mid 50’s which is pretty impressive for a bike of that era imho?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

12. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Dreaded Car Salesman

Well that's cool!

I don't have a prayer getting into the top of the gas section with my ride, unless there was a category for V6 cars. ;) *nudge* ;)

13. 2008Mazda3i

Well I added in my motorcycle but when I go in to add tanks it automatically adds it to my car log..boosting my #s way above those I could ever acheive in my car :D

14. Vooch

Vooch Well-Known Member

Wayne,

Shouldn't the bikes be listed 'above' Hybrids ? - they get better MPG

:) :) :) :) :)

15. Right Lane Cruiser

You are running into a bug I've not yet addressed -- your two vehicles are named the same thing. :(

I may have to unravel this for you myself. Please remove any tanks you entered for the motorcycle and don't change anything else until I give you the go-ahead.

It might be a little while -- work is keeping me busy....

16. Right Lane Cruiser

Okay, I've removed the motorcycle entry -- please remove any tanks you had entered for that vehicle, then recreate the motorcycle with a different name.

I've really got to get some time to fix that bug. :eek:

17. xcel

Hi Jim:

___I was on the phone with Yamaha for quite some time today and there is some more to the Bike’s FE. First off, a motorcycles FE numbers are based on the non-adjusted (pre-1985), EPA city-only (LA4/FTP75) test cycle! In other words, the bikes are city only and do not have the 10% offset taken off as automobiles do.

___When Sean gets to the Bike standards DBase math, he will incorporate what we know about the single test cycle as well as bikes being held to the pre-85 vs. the 85 - 07 w/ offsets let alone the new 5-test cycle 08 and beyond cycles.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

18. Right Lane Cruiser

Urk?

I've exempted the motorcycles from the changed percentages over EPA rating to reflect ranks of Skilled, Expert, and Elite... you'll have to spell out what you want for the rest of the above and it will take some extra special coding to deviate much from what is already done for calculations.

19. 2008Mazda3i

Thanks,

For letting me know what it was..got it working now :)

20. xcel

Hi Sean:

___No need to get on it right away.

___Motorcycle EPA numbers are based on the unadjusted city (pre-85) vs. all vehicles through 2007 using a 22% lower highway and 10% lower city than what the pre-1985 EPA city, highway FE actually was listed at.

___Think CAFE' standards using pre 85 FE numbers for calculations. The Prius is rated at 68 mpg combined on the pre-85 EPA when on the 85-07, it was 55 and for the 08, it is 46 mpg. In the case of a bike rated at 60 mpg, it is 60 mpg city that is unadjusted per the pre-85 EPA estimate. If it is rated at 60 mpg per the manufacturer, it should really be 54 mpg per the 10% negative adjustment like all cars from 1985 through 2007 receive.

___We need to consider an internal calculation offset of 10% to the Skilled, Expert and Elite for bikes although we may need some input because it is only the city EPA estimate that the bikes are rated on. To add, highway is a killer for bikers given what I received yesterday in the 60 mph highway steady state speed tests vs. the around town and P&G riding :rolleyes:

___Good Luck

___Wayne