2008 Honda Civic EX 5spd Manual

Discussion in 'My Ride' started by kelly.cardona, Jul 2, 2008.

1. kelly.cardona

kelly.cardona Well-Known Member

Finally got around to posting about my ride. I just recently bought my Honda a week and 3 days ago and upgraded from a '99 Ford Taurus. Let me tell you big difference, so much easier to drive and the gas savings are huge.

Here it is:

[​IMG]

I am loving each day I drive my car, and doing some of the hypermiling tricks makes it even funner.

2. fanamingo

fanamingo Well-Known Member

What, no replies in a month and a half? Kelly, nice upgrade! My wife and I share an '07 Civic and our backup car is a '99 Mercury Sable (Ford Taurus equivalent), so I've got a pretty good idea of the change you just made. I agree, the Civic is a much better driving car. That's a nice color. I'm jealous of your manual transmission now that I'm hypermiling.

I see you already hit 500 miles on just your second tank. Nice job!

3. kelly.cardona

kelly.cardona Well-Known Member

Hey Fanamingo,

Yeah I have not been keeping up with my blog, I need to get into the groove. I know this has been a great upgrade I am so happy to have done it. Thanks for the post, I have always wanted to drive a manual speed especially learning to drive in a 5spd and then after two automatics I said to myself it is now time for a 5spd. I know I love the color on the car, at first I was a little skeptical but after driving it home I knew that I made the right color choice. Good luck with your Civic.

4. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Nice Civic!

-I have two questions:

What exactly do you mean by the Taurus is a harder car to drive, and the Civic is a better car to drive? I'm a tad confused.

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Kelly:

___Whoooaaaa, sorry I missed this one when it first came out! Congrats on the ride and now I know what your ScanGauge is going into. 50 + mpg, here you come :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne

6. voodoo22

voodoo22 Cheaper than the bus

Everytime I see a Civic I get upset. I wanted one for my first car, and I wanted one when this new design came out, but both times my dreams were dashed immediately by the extremely low roof line ending all hopes of fitting in one without taking out a few vertebrae.

You made an awesome choice with this car. There's no comparison between this and your old Taurus. See you on the other side of 50 MPG :Banane48:

7. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Voodoo, just how tall are you anyway? I'm 6'5" and fit just fine in the HCH-II -- which shares the same body dimensions as the current non-hybrid Civic.

8. voodoo22

I am 6'4"+. I'm a hair under 6'5" (I'm so close to 6'5" that I am 6'5" when I get up in the morning, from the fluid building up in between vertebrates as I sleep. This happens to astronauts in space, they don't fit into their clothes for a while when they come back to earth), but I have a longer torso. My pants have a 34" leg and that's too long. I can barely sit up with a minimum slouch in the Yaris sedan (I just had a co-worker measure my height from butt to top of head when sitting and it came in about 42.5 inches), but in the civic I smash my head. I just checked the interior dimensions on both cars and according to the manufacturer websites the Yaris sedan has less headroom than a base Civic, but more than the higher models, Yet I smash my head in all current Civics.

Yaris sedan 38.8 inches
    Yaris hatch 39.4 inches
    Civic sedan DX or DX-G 39.4 inches
    Civic sedan sport SI EX-L 38 inches

I also remember the huge dash and steeply raked roof gave me a sense of tunnel vision in the Civic more so than the Yaris does. The only cars which I've driven, which have flatter sort roofs which help out the feeling of room and line of site for taller people, are German cars. I'm not sure I believe Honda's numbers on their site, but I can vouch that I definitely had more headroom in the Yaris Hatch vs the Sedan.

9. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Okay. That explains it. I've got a 36" inseam so though some cars are tight I generally have enough headroom to get by (as long as there isn't a sun/moonroof installed!).

10. voodoo22

The only car I ever fit in with a sunroof was the current generation 3 series. If only Japanese engineers were a little taller :)

11. Tofuman

Tofuman Member

nice car! i like the new civics.

12. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

I fit in 06 Civic very well at over 6'2". Hope its not full of trouble like mine was. There is some FE in the R-18.

13. makesumwake

makesumwake Member

you got to push the seat to the rear, and lean the back of the seat at 45 degree angle, so that your head is now visable from the rear passenger window....