Do you think the standard transmission will make a comeback?

Discussion in 'General' started by Chuck, Jul 1, 2008.

?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    65.2%
  1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

My two cents: it's the best thing on non-hybrid cars.

2. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

I don't think so. People are so d**n widget and gimmick oriented anymore, I just don't think they'd opt for stick most of the time.

3. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Possibly you are right. :(

Not willing to use a 5-speed, afraid of hybrids, diesels not as attractive at $5 a gallon, compacts are "too small" - it's gonna cost the people that think this way.

4. warthog1984

warthog1984 Well-Known Member

Manual, No.

Manumatic & CVT, Hell Yeah!

I'd go so far as to predict "full-control" manumatics that are essentially clutchless manuals.

And More 5AT and 6MT/ATs.

5. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

I say no for manual transmissions making a comeback. How are people going to talk on their phone, eat, steer, and shift at the same time? Another illogical argument (in my mind) that I hear a lot is that manual transmissions have lower resale value. Let's see, spend more money now to get the automatic, burn more fuel than the manual for 5 years, and then hope to get the cost of the transmission back in resale? Doesn't add up to me.

What I think we will see are more CVT's and DSG-like transmissions. What I want to see is more manual transmissions but I just don't see it happening.

6. CitrusInsighter

CitrusInsighter Well-Known Member

While I don't see them coming back in numbers as great as they were 30 years ago, I see the possibility for them to increase slightly among the growing subcompact market. While upscale and mid-market cars will see more 6-speed autos, CVTs and DSGs, I think some of the econo-box makers will increase the number (or keep the same) of manuals as an easy way to offer higher mileage cars to the segment of buyers most interested in FE. What would really help a stick shift comeback would be to offer manual transmission instruction in driver's ed classes. Its sad how many people who have the coordination don't learn because their parents don't have a manual car and therefore never learn, keeping them from driving one in the future. I have taught several of my friends how to drive a stick in my Insight (lowering my mileage and killing my clutch) but doing them an important favor that they can use the rest of their lives.

7. lamebums

lamebums Member

They will make somewhat of a comeback but you'd be lucky to ever see them above 10-15%.

Some Einstein decided shorter gearing for a manual would make it sound sportier so they stuck that in. And then the manuals return little or no benefit over the automatic in the EPA mileage test because the damn car pulled 4,000 RPM's at 80 MPH. I'm not surprised.

That, and people would rather blabber away on the phone, eat a burger, or do their makeup while driving. God forbid they actually have to pay attention to driving, oh noes.

8. jab

jab TreehuggingDirtWorshipper

I wish manuals would become more popular, I was not happy having automatic as my only option with the Prius. However I think most Americans are convinced it's too hard to drive one.

9. mtbiker278

mtbiker278 Biotech Researcher

Doubtful we'll see manuals making a comeback. Most people think it's easier to drive auto. Only the enthusiast will still demand it though.

10. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I wish, but it's doubtful. Especially if, as stated above, they keep making them "sporty" instead of economical.

11. Damionk

Damionk DWL Lover

I do have to agree that there may be a small increase. But personally I hope they don't make a big comeback. While I do know how to drive a manual I am physically unable to due to a bad left knee. I can't be pressing on a clutch 20+ times a day.

12. Shiba3420

Shiba3420 Well-Known Member

I hope manuals don't come back. They don't play well with auto-stop engine features. And for average driving, I car with std-auto and auto-stop should out perform a manual on mileage.

And CVT outperforms both, keeping the gearing nearly perfect in all conditions. And being automatic, it does play well with auto-stop. I suspect that it will become the dominate transmision on all EVs and PHEVs (with gas provided electrics).

13. kayasbluetaco

kayasbluetaco Well-Known Member

I don't think it will (in these parts where it is a dinosaur) but I wish it would. I have the damndest time trying to find a manual when I buy new cars. It's all I will ever own, if I can help it. I prefer the control I have, saving gas as well as when on bad roads.

Edit: Of course, I don't know much about how hybrids and the like work in detail, so not sure about the impact there... may be completely unneccessary feature then... but I still find a stick more fun to drive...

14. MGMatt

MGMatt Member

The trans of the future will be the twin clutch manumatic. The efficiency of manual with the e convenience of auto. CVT loses a lot of efficiency driving the oil pump to move the pulleys in and out. 6 and 7 speed automatics are more for marketing and one upsmanship.

15. Nikki

Nikki Well-Known Member

I didn't realize manual transmissions were in need of a "come back" until I recently read that only 9% of new cars sold in the USA are manual. When I went shopping for my last three vehicles, the ones that best suited my needs just happened to be 4 or 5 speed manual. I really thought standard transmission held a larger percentage of the market.

16. GreenVTEC

GreenVTEC Well-Known Member

Doubt an MT comeback. Lazy americans don't like to shift plus shifting isn't good as far as I understand for hybrids. It seems safer to go the CVT road since you can't trust consumers not to run down cars early with bad driving habits.

17. lightfoot

lightfoot Reformed speeder

How not? I have an MT Insight and autostop and FAS both work great. I can't figure out where the problem would be?

I was actually wishing that manufacturers would build these features into non-hybrids.

I agree that US drivers are fairly lazy, but OTOH at some point the gas prices may motivate them. It willl be interesting to see.

Having driven a lousily-programmed CVT, it seems to me that the efficiency of a CVT will depend on the tradeoff between acceleration and economy that is programmed into it. A "learning" CVT (driver programmable) would be very cool.

As for DSG's, I've never been able to determine whether you can get from any gear directly into any other gear (6th to 2nd, say) and whether neutral is available from any gear. These are useful things that can be done with a regular MT.

18. 07mpshei

07mpshei Well-Known Member

Doubtful, the vast majority of my friends and people younger than myself (the ripe old age of 23) do not know how to drive a manual. Especially considering few vehicles are made with them and it is not taught in driver's education. I have limited experience and that's only because when I was learning how to drive my dad had a Ranger with MT. So, considering most younger people (in this country anyway) don't even know how, I doubt they will seek them out when they buy cars, hence, you won't see a comeback from the automakers.

19. A024523

A024523 Currently in Training

Bingo! The same way many non-hypermiling Prius owners expect but don't get the EPA MPGs, because of the way they drive.

20. WRXTeamDFL

WRXTeamDFL Well-Known Member

I don't think they'll become more popular. People are too lazy or too reluctant to learn.