turbo 4 luxuary cars?

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by sailordave, Jun 29, 2008.

1. sailordave

sailordave Well-Known Member

Has anyone here applied the techniques here to a turbo 4 cylinder luxuary car like a Saab? I know the 4 cylinder Saabs had the power and mpg of a V-6 but I'm curious as to what mpg they can achieve if driven softer. Would they get better mpg than a similiarly driven V6 sedan or would the mpg be about the same as the V6 sedan? If I could afford to lease one I would give it a try. A good test model would be the 9-3 2.0 turbo.

2. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Personally I have applied basic HM techniques to a turbo 5-cylinder with good results (Volvo XC70 AWD). It was reasonably simple to get epa highway (24mpg) in city driving, and it was good for a solid 30mpg highway. The Saab will be a battle against weight too, but it has smaller engine displacement (good) and FWD (also good). Vooch's Passat is probably a closer comparison so hopefully he will chime in.

3. applemac*fit

applemac*fit Well-Known Member

I used to own a 1999 Saab 9-3. It got decent FE. I certainly wasn't hypermiling back then. But I'm willing to bet it would do fine hypermiling, and get some decent FE numbers. It had a good deal of torque right at idle.

Of course with hypermiling a Saab (or any other turbocharged car), one would have to be very careful to not engage the turbo - as that just blows the FE out the window.

I miss that Saab, though. We got rid of it after the engine hydrolocked from heavy rains in California. The engine, turbo, and intercooler were all filled to the brim with water. Even after having the engine rebuilt, it just didn't seem the same anymore. RIP my dark blue Saab.

4. sailordave

sailordave Well-Known Member

I've always said if I won the lottery I'd look at the Saabs. I'm not a fast driver and Saabs are different from most other cars on the road both in style and in engineering. Plus, there aren't that many fwd 4 cylinder luxuary vehicles right now.

5. theprophet

theprophet Active Member

yep, you can hypermile a turbo car...staying out of boost is one of the biggest FE tricks

i would look at the 9-2x aero...more commonly called a saabaru. it's a saab body with subaru's industry stand-out symmetrical AWD/flat-4 2.5L turbo. it's built by subaru and branded by saab...so you get the 'class' of a saab with the durability of a subaru

6. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

Hehe, I just watched the old topgear where they reviewed the 9-3 last night. Jeremy was saying that you should leave it on at stoplights because the air coming out of the tailpipe was cleaner than the air coming in it.

Anyways, yes you can hypermile a turbo 4cylinder. If you stay out of the boost, which should be easy for the 9-3, it's basically just a 4cylinder car.

7. entri

entri Member

its really tempting to go on boost . I think the only time I actually use the turbo is merging onto the freeway these days.