New Ford Escape Hybrid – Glide technique…

Discussion in 'Ford Hybrids' started by xcel, Jun 27, 2008.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___Welcome to the just launched Hybrid Owners Community – Ford Escape Hybrid forum! With that, here we go :)

___At the World FE Championships last week, Dan Bryant brought to the table a new Ford Escape Hybrid - Glide technique that does away with both LGA and the double tap Brake - Glide entries. DebbieKatz is currently using it on her daily grind and may have a shot at a 60 + mpg tank on the next go around. Although I cannot give out the details just yet, Dan is writing up a succinct document and I will be asking Debbie to demonstrate the new technique(s) at the Hybridfest Hypermiling clinics to be held in Madison, WI next month!

___It really enhances the capability of the FEH without the guesswork and std. learning curve that the FEH used to require ;)

___Good Luck and I know you are going to like it!

___Wayne

2. DebbieKatz

DebbieKatz ФЕХ Царйца

Applause, applause :woot: :woot: :woot:

:eek: OK Wayne, I know you like to continue to give us something to strive for, but I'm looking for that 53mpg tank, with *possibly* some 60mpg or more trips :eek:

That said, this tank is still above 50 (51.8mpg) & my MTE+trip odo = 713mi. :) :) :)

Look out, Pravus Prime - I promise to teach it to you *after* the MPG Challenge, but first, I have to beat you ;)

Thanks for the new forum, Wayne - this was a great idea :)

3. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

Just out of curiosity, how does the FEH and family fare up on the 65+ MPH highways? Is it still possible to pull into the 40 MPG range? Assuming I'd be driving it at about 55 MPH. I'd really, really like to have an Escape again, and it could be a possible contender for my next car if it can do well on the highway.

4. DebbieKatz

DebbieKatz ФЕХ Царйца

I'm regularly seeing in the 40mpg's driving 55mph on the highway :) This past spring, on a trip back from Sheboygan (about 60mi.), I got 42mpg going 55mph - at night, with the lights on. And last weekend's trip to & from Indiana, plus the driving on the course & into town for breakfast & dinner, came out to 42mpg as well :) :) - in spite of the fact that I was using A/C off & on throughout :)

5. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

Sorry Wayne, I must have not seen that technique! I think I posted everything as I discovered it when I discovered it. This is BS Pal!

GaryG

6. xcel

Hi Gary:

___Sorry, it isn't. You won't be using the LGA or double tap nearly as often thanks to Dan's work in his wife’s FEH :) Debbie is already improving upon her own segments thanks to it too! Four members pulled over 70 on a RT while using it for the first time at the World FE Championships and I have a feeling someone can will pull an 80 mpg segment in one now with even higher speeds simply because it is a lot more Prius like.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

7. DebbieKatz

DebbieKatz ФЕХ Царйца

It's for real, Gary :) - I pulled a 70.2mpg on the route, & mine was the lowest :rolleyes:

And my current tank average is 50.5mpg at 200+mi., in spite of rain, SummerFest traffic, & road construction :) :)

8. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

Actually, I read that more to be that Gary is bit peeved that, although he released every item he found the near instant it was found, the updated technique won't be available (or even described in brief) for some time.

9. rdprice64

rdprice64 Still Learning

Anxiously awaiting! Maybe I unknowingly used this technique on my single 65.0 mpg commute. I haven't been able to do better than 57 since :eek:

I'm not driving as much right now, so my patience is longer that others, but now I'm really sad that I won't be at Hybridfest to see it first hand :(:(:(:(

Any chance of a video posted here afterwards?
    - Rob

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  10. CarlD

CarlD Well-Known Member

That was my take, too. But even if that wasn't his point, it is still very valid. I would think that anything to help FE would be disclosed whenever discovered. I guess we have a paradigm shift now, but I really don't see why. :confused:

11. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

C'mon, spill the beans! You know you want to.

12. rmcmast

rmcmast Well-Known Member

This has been bothering me for the last few days also. If there's a new technique I would hope that it could be shared so the we can all take advantage and even help to improve it when possible.

We could all be working to improve this now, rather than waiting for it to be used at Hybridfest. I'd love to be able to go this year, but cannot due to work constraints.

-- Rick

13. kmactavi

kmactavi Well-Known Member

I agree (even though I don't have a FEH). If there is a valid reason for waiting such as testing due to a potential safety hazard, it would be good to make that reason known.

Kirk

14. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

That was exactly what I meant. I wasn't questioning the technique at all, I was complaining about sharing the information.

GaryG

15. xcel

Hi All:

___Dan and Debbie are working on a write-up first and to make sure everything is a go with actual tanks proving it or not. This one is best to wait for a few until Debbie knocks out that tank or two on her daily commute as Dan only sees his wife’s FEH for a few miles a week at most :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne

16. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Why not let the other FEH drivers give it a shot in parallel? If it shows promise then more data from a few other drivers can only be a good thing. Unless it involves a stick of dynamite or something. If there were any benefit to keeping it quiet then why was this thread posted at all? It's not like people are going to up and decide not to go to hybridfest.

17. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

It's sad that things have to be this way, but if people want to see my review of the all new '09 FEH, see Hybridcars.com.

GaryG

18. xcel

HI Gary:

___Does Hybridcars pay you for writing for them?

___Tim, check the mod forum. Debbie and Dan are doing just that the last time they wrote about it?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

19. Vooch

Vooch Well-Known Member

Debbie,

Are your numbers on the FEH that I heard is able to go 40 MPH in EV ?

BTW - you are going to have to upgrade your name to 'Czarina' of the FEH

20. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

No Wayne, no one has ever paid me to write about my FEH. Brad Berman who owns Hybridcars.com has ask me to be a Moderator and I declined. I shared everything I know in the article here on CMPG before and after the '07 MPG Challenge. Eric will verify I have not signed up to be in this years MPG Challenge and have no plans too.

There is most likely no one better than myself to test a new technique than the winner of last years MPG Challenge. I feel the mission of this site has changed for personal reasons and not to better everyones mileage or environmental impact on our planet. Why would you ever question my motive?

CarlD is a small example of who I ask to come to this site for SG information for your members.

No matter how you spin it Wayne, it's BS!