What to do

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by RobinB, Jun 20, 2008.

1. RobinB

RobinB Member

We gave our daughter my old car (2003 Chevy Malibu) to drive to school and work and pleasure. I'm finding that I got better gas mileage than what she does. I know one factor is that when she drives up to the school (which is a lot even during the summer) we only live about 2 miles from the school not giving her car time to warm up. What can be done to help get better mpg for her? Her other frequent traveling is to work and she works about 10 miles from our house. Just looking for suggestions.

2. rdprice64

rdprice64 Still Learning

I try to use a bicycle on anything under 3 miles from the house. Would that be an option for your daughter? If she is going straight from school to her job, than maybe not.

Short trips are tough for better MPGs. On the days that I do drive to work, I drive 1.7 miles to the gym to workout and then the remaining 11.3 miles to work afterwards. By coasting and gently accelerating (even uphill), I can get 30-33 MPGs on the first leg of the trip and that's with no Hybrid help, because the engine is not warm enough for that in that short a period. Part of that is also the fact that I have the tires up to 44 psi, which is the maximum sidewall on my vehicle, so I can coast longer.

Other than that, you could have a block heater installed. Having the engine "pre-heated" aids in you MPGs as well.

Hope that helps
    -Rob

3. RobinB

RobinB Member

I have always thought that upping the psi on tires was bad but on here I am reading otherwise. We have pretty much always kept the tires around 32psi. I am wondering up upping that if that would help her. I wish she would ride her bike to school but unfortunately that really isn't an option. I will also talk to her about doing slower take off and anticipating stops. I think if she try it and sees what better mileage she is getting she would do it more.

4. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Is the bicycle not a option! No wonder our kids are growing side-ways. H

5. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

If she must drive that short of a distance air up the tires to max psi and use an engine block heater (EBH). I'm in Dallas TX and I use an EBH any time the morning temps dip into the 60s or below and have noticed an immediate improvement in mileage.

6. Aspasia

Aspasia Well-Known Member

Perhaps if your daughter has to buy the gas for her vehicle from her own wages she will reconsider using the bike or at least listen to you when you give her tips on how to get better mileage.

7. RobinB

RobinB Member

Harold, since my daughter is active in sports 365 days a year growing outward isn't going to happen.

I will definitely try the tire pressure first and see what happens. I will also talk to her about her driving habits - you know quick take off and quick stops. If she changes her habits and sees how much she saves I'm sure she would keep doing it.

8. rdprice64

rdprice64 Still Learning

If it was really bad, do you think the lawyers for the tire companies would allow them to print a higher number on the tire?

It is mostly about ride comfort. Most well maintained vehicles have the suspension to make the comfort difference relatively undetectable. My wife will not compromise comfort for MPGs, but she does allow me keep her Odyssey tires at 44, because she can't tell any difference in the ride.

9. brucepick

brucepick Well-Known Member

Get your daughter to learn fuel efficient driving techniques.
    Best place would be right here.

A block heater compensates well for the losses of short trips.
    Higher tire pressure is a good move that pays off across the board.

I found a decrease in comfort above 50 psi. Below 45 psi I'd expect any youngster to be comfortable. I'm over 50 and so are my tires.