mom just got a kia sportage...

Discussion in 'Kia' started by theprophet, Jun 15, 2008.

1. theprophet

theprophet Active Member

moms just picked up a 08 sportage 4cyl/FWD...rated at 20/25 MPG (ya right)...it seems this car/suv may be a good hypermiling vehicle to me

anyone on here own one of these getting well above the EPA numbers ? i think i can do 30mpg easy, 35 mpg with some more work...

2. Vooch

Vooch Well-Known Member

keep us posted !

3. bhartmann10

bhartmann10 Member

As luck would have it, I am going to be renting a Sportage this weekend for a road trip from Tulsa to Dallas and back, as well as some other mixed driving and I plan on gathering data on everything.

My wife and I are considering the Sportage (or its sister, the Hyundai Tucson) for our new vehicle and this trip is a test of its hypermiling ability. I think it has some potential to do well. I saw another site which had a guy who was getting between 30 and 32 in his 4cyl Mazda Tribute in mixed driving, so I am eager to give this vehicle a shot.

Tune in next Tuesday for the results!

UPDATE: OK, so the only Sportage left for rental is the LX V6 4WD, but I am going to give it a run for its money. According to the new EPA tests, this model gets 17 and 21. The model we are looking at is the FWD 4cyl, which is rated at 19 and 25, so if I can manage a fairly good number from this model, I may be sold on this vehicle. I have already increased the tires from 30 psi to 40 psi and hooked up my SG. So, we will see what the trip brings.

Brian

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  4. bhartmann10

bhartmann10 Member

Things went well for me this weekend with the Sportage. I like the vehicle a great deal, it has a great amount of room for my 6'7" offensive lineman frame and it is quiet and has a nice ride.

Even though I didn't get to do much TRUE hypermiling do to the amount of traffic on the trip and though I had the V6 4WD version of the vehicle, I did achieve some impressive numbers.

2008 EPA Rated 17/21.

I achieved 25.957 MPG on the first tank and 27.292 on the second tank with more luggage and another passenger, so I am very pleased. I am interested to see what could be achieved in the I4 FWD version can do.

Brian

5. theprophet

theprophet Active Member

i've been getting around 25MPG mixed cty/hwy...no real hypermiling while the car is breaking in still

i've been driving it for the past week since i had a sidewall blowout on my subaru (tire defect) and as luck has it, with this AWD car, the tires have to be replaced in sets of 4. the tires i have, are all at around 1-2/32" tread, which is bald for most people. i think they 10k more miles left in them:D and they don't scare me in the rain at highway speeds too much. i don't replace tires until the belts are showing.

so no luck in finding two very used tires in 235/40ZR18, and i don't have $5-600 for a new set right now

6. theprophet

theprophet Active Member

MPG has been getting better in mom's KIA, however i still can't hit 30mpg highway driving...and it seems that others are not having much luck with the 4cyl/auto Sportage- the damn things are thirsty for such a small car

it's of no benefit for me to drive the KIA over my Impreza, the cost for a 300 mile round trip 90hwy/10cty% is about the same using either car, factoring in the insane gas prices we had months ago when it was >$4/gal for 93. now it's even less of an issue with premium being $1.89 :woot:

7. 98CRV

98CRV Well-Known Member

Are you using a sgii to help you get better mpg's? Highway mpg's in these aerodynamic brick requires a fair amount of work/technique.

8. deadrx7conv

deadrx7conv New Member

My Sportage is a fuel pig. Even with 5k miles, I don't think its fully broken in yet.

I have the 4wd/4cyl/5-speed.

You need to baby it always to get decent MPG. 32 mpg happened only once on the highway for only 1 tank. High 20's is the best I could do from tank to tank. And, if I am even mildy aggressive, low 20's happens quickly.

I've already changed out the transfer case and rear end with a 75w90 gear oil. My engine is using 0w20 motor oil. The KN filter also seemed to help. I plan on changing out the manual transmission fluid and power steering fluid soon. And, some of the Elantra/Tiburon/Spectra... mods will work with the Sportage.

9. 98CRV

98CRV Well-Known Member

Do you have sgii or some other mpg measuring device? They help a ton, especially with an SUV. I have to be very attentive to my technique with my CRV, but I would be nowhere near my 33 mpg avg without my sgii.