Yet another newbie

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by ajaxel, Jun 10, 2008.

1. ajaxel

ajaxel Member

Just checking out this site looking for ideas on how to spend less $$$ on my 110 mile a day commute. Yes I have a very good reason for that ridiculous commute but don't wish to discuss that now.
    I drive a 2006 Mazda 3 & went from 27 to around 31 MPG changing my driving habits, speed mostly. I have always maintained my vehicles so thats not an issue. Now that I am outta ideas, I am turning to the ever scary internet for people I don't know to throw out ideas that could kill me. I think I'll go with the tire pressure increase first & go from there. I have heard about increasing pressure a while ago but thought it would cause blow outs.
    I'll start here & feel free to give me ideas or whatever you wanta say.

2. HemiSync

HemiSync Well-Known Member

3. ajaxel

ajaxel Member

Thanks for replying, I have read that article and spent quite a bit of non member time looking around this web site and have quite a few good ideas now. My commute is about 3 crowded miles from my house on surface streets to the very busy freeway. I work a schedule so I miss most rush hour traffic so I get to utilize my Cruise Control most of the time. I set it on 65 so I don't get run over & killed. The last 4 miles or so are also city streets but most of those are very light traffic & I do time most of the lights so I don't fully stop. The traffic on the way home is about the same to. My hours are set just right to miss the rush hour.
    Is over inflateing tires worth the long run cost? I am sure they wear faster that way and just worry I will be replacing them more often adding them to landfills and so not doing much of a favor to the environment in that respect. I might be totally wrong there too.

4. HemiSync

HemiSync Well-Known Member

Search the forums and you will find several topics on tire inflation. It is a big one for discussion. Many of us run ours at max sidewall pressure or higher and find that it seems to decreases wear and definitely increases mpg.

As for your commute, turn the cruise control off and don't be afraid to try 55. People really will not run you over and I have noticed in the last month that more and more drivers are looking for an excuse to slow down. I always drive 55 on major highways and never had anyone line up behind me until recently. Try some of the different techniques of hypermiling, taking them one at a time until you feel comfortable with them and see what works for you. A scangauge can help a lot and will pay for itself in the long run. I have several of the gauges built into my hybrid but still am getting one for some of the other gauges available.