FAS in Ford Ranger: Power steering fluid sprays in engine compartment when turning.

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by Steve_O, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Steve_O

Steve_O Active Member

I have begun using the FAS technique. If I steer the truck when my engine is not running, power steering fluid sprays out of the cap. It has enough pressure to hit the hood and go all over my fuse box. There is a very small overflow hole on the top of the cap to the power steering unit, which is where it comes from.

I don't FAS anymore if steering for obvious reasons which I guess is not a huge deal because it requires some serious muscle to turn the Ranger with the engine off (MUCH more than my old 87' Monte Carlo SS).

Anyone else experience this?

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Re: FAS in Ford Ranger: Power steering fluid sprays in engine compartment when turnin

Hi Steve O:

___I thought I had heard that SlowHands had that problem early on due to the PS cap not being tight? Why would a PS fluid cap have a vent/weep hole? Is it OEM or an add on cap? New cap and tighten up.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

3. Steve_O

Steve_O Active Member

Re: FAS in Ford Ranger: Power steering fluid sprays in engine compartment when turnin

"Why would a PS fluid cap have a vent/weep hole?"

--My thought exactly. I'd like to figure this out before I go off and change the cap. Several other forums document this occurrence as being normal on some Fords but don't speak on why it was designed that way.

4. xcel

HI Steve:

___Give me a minute and let me go snap a pic of my own Ranger's PS fluid cap for you ...

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. xcel

Hi Steve O.:

___Solid tethered cap …

[​IMG]

___Good Luck

___Wayne

6. Steve_O

Steve_O Active Member

Wayne, you appear to have a different style reservoir than me. There are no threads on mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. xcel

Hi Steve O:

___I see the weep hole and for the life of me, I cannot figure out why anyone would want to have one on a cap let alone an unfiltered one? PS Hydraulic fluid is something you would want extremely clean as well?

___Anyone in the Ford Truck forums have anything to add as to why the hole is there? I know what I would do with it but it is best to find out why just in case.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

8. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

I can't tell you what they were thinking, but if I was in a hurry putting a weep hole in for pressure relief would sure be easy. It's raining right now or I'd see if/how pressure relief is built into mine. (In the fill cap maybe?)

9. benffv

benffv Well-Known Member

my 99 ranger has the older style cap, with the small atmosphere vent hole, I have no idea what its for unless it equalizes hydraulic pressure build up. all the fords with this cap spits out if your turning the wheels with no engine running. pushing/towing cars in the shop their will be a trail of PS fluid on the floors guaranteed. the newer style does not spit out because of no hole in the cap. Usually as long as you don't turn your steering no fluid will come out when the engine is off.
    It also seemes Fords nice red fluid color gets black real fast, I use a flush machine on mine that works great.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  10. dwschoon

dwschoon Active Member

I just found this thread. I stopped using fas in my truck for this exact reason, although I didn't know the problem wasn't limited to me. I would lose enough fluid that my ps pump would wine really bad, and I was afraid of burning it up. I just thought that maybe 175k miles was too much to try to start fas in my truck. My fluid always looks dirty as well.