Just joined a kia forum and am wondering what to say about tire pressure

Discussion in 'Kia' started by vtec-e, Jun 2, 2008.

1. vtec-e

vtec-e Celtic MPG Warrior

I recently joined a kia forum to learn more about my Cee'd SW. I found a threadhttp://www.kia-forums.com/kia-ceed-forum/44302-warning-tire-pressure.html about tire pressure and this guy said he got his new car from the forecourt with 3.5 bar instead of 2.2 in his tires! He was seriously upset over this and the replies he got were saying he should ask for a free servive etc. Another guy replied saying his tires were at 2.2bar and he HAD to put them back to 2.1!!! Oh dear, i better be careful here.
    I suppose i just wanted to show you guys how entrenched some things are in the general publics psyche and how much opposition we have to hypermiling. I really don't know how much pain at the pumps people can sustain before there will be a shift in how they think about things like this.

ollie

2. toastblows

toastblows Well-Known Member

you crazy europeans and your barameters. Most tire places i go have a print out of "what our lawyers will allow us to pump your tires up to"....its 32 lbs/sq in on my tires....so i pump them up to 44 myself after i leave the place.

3. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Tell them to go the max sidewall pressure. You can't argue with that.

4. toastblows

I think when lawyers get involved, common sense doesnt apply anymore. Sams Club i know will not pump my tires up past 32 because their computer program tells them thats what it should be.

5. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

The tire manufacturer is willing to stake their reputation, brand name, and risk of lawsuits on the 44 psi stamped in the rubber. Perfectly safe according to them.

6. toastblows

yah yah, and every coffee maker in the world knows coffee is served hot, yet mcdonalds gets sued because they didnt stamp "caution coffee hot" on their cups ....until after a lawsuit. The middle man doesnt want the hassle.

7. trackermpg

trackermpg Well-Known Member

There have been many links on this site to well written articles that suggest that in many aspects inflating to max sidewall does not carry the dangers that many people have been raised to believe.

While I would respectively say that while most of us here are not tire engineers (I have met one though ;)) and can not scientifically say that this is either absolutely safe nor that it is an automatic danger, there seems to be more technically based or objectively written articles supporting the practice (to an extent) and there is certainly an ever increasing amount of miles around here being put on tires inflated to max sidewall (or beyond) without serious incident.

When I made my decision to increase psi, I felt that there may be an inherently greater rollover risk to my little SUV. I also felt that by driving more slowly and cautiously, some of that risk would be mitigated (but not eliminated). I may be right, I may be wrong, and realize that I wouldn't know the "truth" unless a vehicle/tire mfgr. conducts scientific testing on my vehicle with my tires at my inflation - not likely to happen. :( Flight test experience has taught me that it is safer to be professionally skeptical about what we believe is "correct" when we test new theories/procedures, etc. than to have blind faith in those beliefs, but I'll spare you my thoughts on risk assessment for another day.

I can certainly speak from experience as to the accelerated and uneven wear caused by "door" pressure inflation, as well as to the conversely increased tread life I have gotten from inflating to 35psi for my last two sets of tires. Both of those (40,000 mile) sets made it to 102,000 and 80,000 respectively without wearing down to a wear bar at any place on any of the eight tires involved. I personally feel comfortable that an increase in psi up to max (on my new set) will not cause "premature or abnormal" wear, although I am cautiously interested in the effects of higher psi as my sidewalls begin to deteriorate (crack) after additional miles and UV exposure above what the mfgr. may have expected.

In the vein of "leading a horse to water..." I would suggest you point out the more well written, objective articles that support the idea, as well as point out the positive experiences of those here (i.e., better fuel efficiency, longer tread life, etc.). Let them be comfortable in their own minds with their decisions (for better or worse). It's a shame that most people who come here looking with their attitude fixed in "open loop" (see below) will not realize just how sincere and caring most here seem to be, and that any negative effects or incidents of any procedure being used would be passed on immediately for others to evaluate their personal decisions.

"Open Loop Attitude"
    - In a fixed state. Not warmed up adequately to provide the output appropriate to the actual circumstances or requirements...