2000 Honda Accord - Topped 40 mpg this week!

Discussion in 'Honda' started by Jeffro, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Jeffro

Jeffro Member

Honda Accord's are hardly the most economic vehicles when it comes to fuel savings, but I'm excited because after only a month of practicing hypermiling, I've managed 42.55 mpg on my last tank (630.8 miles on 14.826 gallons.) I guess I'm going to have to raise my goals. I wonder what will be possible when I finally get around to purchasing a scanguage?

2. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

nice job. when you get a scan gauge you will look back at today's fill and call it low. :)

3. 98CRV

98CRV Well-Known Member

sgii or no sgii, that tank is just plain good. Well done!

4. 99HXCivic

99HXCivic Well-Known Member

That's awesome. Is it a manual or auto car?

5. Jeffro

Jeffro Member

Manual transmission. I've seen a few other 6th generation accords on here that have topped 40 but I'm still happy. :Banane25:

6. 98CRV

98CRV Well-Known Member

Are you hypermiling the Ridgeline too? It would be great to see what it can do as a 6-cylinder pick-up.

7. Jeffro

Jeffro Member

Not on any regular basis because my wife drives that as her primary vehicle, but we are going out of town this week, so I might get a tank or two in to see what I can get. I don't know how I'll do hypermiling an AT though since I'm so used to my 5-speed. We'll have to see... I wonder if the all wheel drive will be a problem? I'll have to find out!

8. OrdnanceMarine

OrdnanceMarine New Member

Good job. Get yourself a SG2!

9. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Great job. Again, go ahead and get the Scangauge. There's a lot more where that 42 came from.

10. Synon

Synon Member

Awesome Jeffro! I just got a 2001 Accord LX yesterday and I'm excited to see what kind of potential it has. My friends laughed when I told them I wanted to try for 35 mpg on the first tank, so hearing that you got 42 has brought my spirits up!

Did you use some pretty aggressive hypermiling techniques or more basic?

11. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jeffro:

___Great way to start your runs with a great car! Although I might be a little biased :D

___Good Luck and congrats on may more 40 + tanks to come.

___Wayne

12. ssssmashing

ssssmashing Member

I have a 99 auto and had a 2000 prior to it. I never got anything like that on mine. I was excited because I got 34MPG on my last tank.
    :confused:

Don't let anybody tell you different - that's a great job!

13. Jeffro

Jeffro Member

I started out VERY basic, mostly NICE-On coasting and very little P&G, and very light amount of (gasp) drafting. I've steadily become more and more determined to improve though, and have been adding more and more techniques. Unfortunately, I still just can't throw out the money for a SGII, so I just have to guess as I go to what is working and what isn't. I hope by the end of summer to be able to swing one, but we'll see. I thought I was going to pull one this month, but tires are more important right now. I did invest in a TPMS system I found recommended on here though, so within the next month I plan on having that set-up.

I'm also guessing, but I think the first 20-30 miles of my trip to work and coming home make my mileage, because its a 55 mph 2 lane highway mostly that I can P&G easily a dozen times over a 1/2 mile, and probably 3 or 4 of those times are a mile or a little better. Once I hit the interstates, I'm in trouble and I think the purchase of a scanguage will help immensely. I'm getting more and more determined though, and 55 mph is pretty easy to maintain now... :eek:

14. chilimac02

chilimac02 Bible Professor & Minister

That's pretty good mileage. I just got through my first tank of hypermiling and did 31 in my 2001 accord... sadly my 89 accord would have made 36 from normal highway driving.

15. Marky Mark

Marky Mark Member

Great Job !!
    I have an 02Accord 6 cylinder and the best I have done to date is 32mpg.
    I too am striving to get to that magic 35 mpg number.

Do not have the sgII yet but feel that is next. You talk about a TPMS can I ask what you have set your tire pressures at?

Mark