Chip Fosse, Overhaulin

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by sailordave, May 31, 2008.

1. sailordave

sailordave Well-Known Member

Anyone ever see this show? I've noticed that on many vehicles he works on, he shaves off the door handles and the side rearview mirrors. Wonder how much of a mpg savings this could give a car. He doesn't do this to save gas though. Not when he's dropping in a crate racing engine.

2. worthywads

worthywads Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

Must have some positive effect.

I haven't tried this but my truck, and I presume many new vehicles have side mirrors that fold inward, i'm guessing to prevent them from just breaking on light impact.

I doubt if I can establish much of a difference with or without the mirrors turned in but it's worth a try. I'm almost never much above 55-60 though the benefit would probably be more apparent at 70+.

I'm old school and seem to rarely use my side mirrors anyway, I prefer to turn my head even if the mirror says I'm clear.

3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

I kinda wondered about the mirrors.In the old days-not that long ago-1980's-cars only came with 1 side view mirror.Heck,I can't even remember if it was the drivers or passengers side view mirror-probably the passengers side,since the inter review mirror can cover most of the right side.

I don't know how much good folding them inward would do,since they are designed to have low drag CDs in the normal position.Removing one,and smoothing the hole would certainly improve drag-probably not enough to measure with a SG but it would be better.I tempted to remove my roof rack,and smooth the holes over.Once again-not something I could measure-but better FE.
    Charlie

4. lyekka

lyekka Well-Known Member

I have been pondering the mirrors as well. I see that the Aptera uses rearview cameras and monitors. Perhaps this could be implemented?

5. Jaral

Jaral I'm Drivin' Blind!

Old cars came with no passneger side mirror. Rear-view and driver's side are required equipment on any motor vehicle I believe. I honestly doubt that it is worth the small gains to remove mirrors. I drove a civic with no passenger side mirror and it was frustrating as hell to merge right because I had much less view of the lane beside me. Remeber you need to see not only your blind spot but look back down the lane to make sure there are no idiots zipping up the right side to rear-end you.

Safety trumps MPG, and in this case I think you can make a good case for safety. Or at least fewer trips to the chiropractor to fix your neck from all that whipping it around to check your blind spot. :D

6. Daox

Daox Well-Known Member

Side mirrors will have a impact. Shaving door handles will not according to Hucho (author of "Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles").