How To: Link your signature to your Mileage Log

Discussion in 'Website news & discussions' started by fanamingo, May 25, 2008.

1. fanamingo

fanamingo Well-Known Member

All this information is found in other threads, but hopefully some find it helpful to have it all together. Go to your car's mileage log. Make a note of the three or four digit number at the end of the page's URL, and substitute it into the following code in the two places where XXX appears.

[NOPARSE][​IMG][/NOPARSE]

If you use a measurement system besides US gallons you can make the following substitutions:
    MPG(UK): "XXX.png" = "XXXUK.png"
    L/100Km: "XXX.png" = "XXXL.png"

This should yield a picture that links to your mileage log and allows the viewer to see your log in his/her native measurement system. Paste the code into your signature. Here's mine.

[​IMG]

But that's not all you can do. There are a few other options for mileage graphics specific to your car. Just insert the right prefix into the end of the code you just built. Instead of ending with XXX.png, use:

hisXXX.png
    [​IMG]

hogsXXX.png (For an explanation, search for "hogshead" at this link)
    [​IMG]

chaXXX.png (this last one is a bit big for a signature but may be useful at other times)
    [​IMG]

One last thing. You can do multiple vehicles and combinations of graphics, but you're limited to 400 characters. This limits you to three linked graphics in this form. One way to fit more in (within reason - some people still use dial-up) is to use www.tinyurl.com. This site creates short URLs from long ones. Since it uses fewer characters, you can fit more into your signature. Substitute newly created tinyURLs in for the longer ones in the code you built earlier. That's it. If you need help, just reply to this thread!

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2009
  2. Lugnuts001

Lugnuts001 Well-Known Member

Re: HowTo: Link your signature to your Mileage Log

Thanks for the how-to fanamingo!

Phil

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Re: HowTo: Link your signature to your Mileage Log

Hi Fanamingo:

___That was an excellent post! I stickied it given the great tabulation of methods to display what you want :)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

4. chilimac02

chilimac02 Bible Professor & Minister

Thank you for the help!

5. lamebums

lamebums Member

I have an idea--how about we create a thread in the welcome forum, sticky it, and have in it all the important links (how to create a mileage log, beating the EPA, hypermiling specific cars, etc.)?

6. R3Wood

R3Wood Member

Thanks. It worked great!

7. lowandslow

lowandslow Member

Just a sig test.

8. lowandslow

lowandslow Member

another sig test

9. rdprice64

rdprice64 Still Learning

I seem to be having difficulty with the Chart for Vehicle 1162. All the others seem to be working though. Any ideas?

-Rob
    ======================================================
    Regular: [​IMG]
    History: [​IMG]
    Hogs: [​IMG]
    Chart: [​IMG]

10. fanamingo

fanamingo Well-Known Member

Interesting. I can't pull it up either. I think RightLaneCruiser manages the Mileage Logs software. If he doesn't chime in on this thread, send him a PM.

11. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

It seems to be related to the use of an & in the name -- neither of your vehicles have charts.

I started looking into it yesterday but haven't made a lot of progress yet.

12. rdprice64

rdprice64 Still Learning

Can I just rename them?

13. Right Lane Cruiser

Yes you can, though I still need to track down why this is happening. & is an allowed character and shouldn't cause the process to abort while constructing the image.

14. rdprice64

rdprice64 Still Learning

Well it did fix it. So, thank you!

15. Right Lane Cruiser

You are welcome. :)

16. jimepting

jimepting Well-Known Member

17. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Go to "User CP" at the top of the page. CP = Control Panel. Find the Signature link on that page.

18. sidfreak

sidfreak Well-Known Member

testing sig, thanx

19. sidfreak

sidfreak Well-Known Member

testing once more

20. hyperme

hyperme Well-Known Member

Testing, testing