'00 Hyundai Tib Automatic Techniques

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by joejac, May 25, 2008.

1. joejac

joejac Member

I have read the WHY's and hows to Hypermile post and am very excited to start my journey to better MPG and less usage.

As stated I have a 2000 Tiburon Automatic. So there a limited tools that I can use to better my MPG but am still excited about all the information you all have to offer.

The main question I have is about NICE-on (I think that is what I am looking for neutral coast with ICE on right?) coasting and performing this while maintaining speeds that won't garner to many birds out the passenger windows. As well as I guess some techniques for automatics in general.

If there is a forum post that lays out how many of these techniques are used while actually driving then just point me there. I have gained little ground with forum searches as I am not to in touch with the lingo as of yet :) I would use the WHY's post but it seems to offer little on how the techniques are used in driving situations. Once again I may be missing the cues.

Thank You for your time,

HM-nooby

2. joejac

joejac Member

Forgot to mention my driving conditions...Silly me!

It is Kansas...so rolling hills? Although scientists have found our state, on average, to be flatter than a pancake, I am still unsure as to where all this really flat land is ;)

Exiting my parents housing development it is pretty much downhill to work and other areas followed by gradual inclines. Returning home trends on the uphill side. I liken it to a plateau of sorts. My parents house on the top and everything else below.

If you are in need of a better explanation let me know.

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Joe:

___Sorry for missing your first post yesterday. First off, welcome to CleanMPG!

___Now about your Auto … I am not sure if it is flat towable or not (that would be in your manual) but FAS’ing from 10 mph or under to a light and such is not forbidden in my book either way. Just make sure you are watching your 12V as that is tough w/ an auto.

___NICE-On’s exactly as you stated above will be your friend from now on either way and if you use them strategically, your Hyundai’s numbers will prove quite capable.

___Rolling hills are excellent FE producers! A little accel up the incline, NICE-On or FAS before the crest and hold over, down and slightly up the next one and repeat. Load in the 70 – 90% range at 1/3 or so throttle and you are good as gold. Wrt std. rabbit timing, DWL, DWB, PP and Face-outs, of course. Something else about an auto … Do get that torque converter locked up ASAP (usually above 48 mph and you can droop down to maybe 42 while lightly DWL up a slope and a slight accel down the backside while still holding lock up to bring you back to speed. Coming into a light or unexpected impediment, drop your gear selector down to hold fuel cut (if your Tiburon has that which I believe it does?) above 1,100 RPM until almost stopped in First. Then cut the ICE or sit their and idle if you have less than a 10 second wait. While waiting ICE-ON at any light, sign, whatever, place your gear selector in N so as to not pumping pressure into the TC. Just another little fuel savings technique for those of us crazy enough to own an auto nowadays which means just about everybody. I qualify as an Auto owner with the Accord as well :)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

4. joejac

joejac Member

Hello Wayne:

Thank you for the reply! I have a couple of questions that should clear up all my problems.

1) Do get that torque converter locked up ASAP...

- I may not be understanding this correctly so I will give you my explanation and you say "Yeah" or "Nay".

A. Achieve "final gear" around 48 mph while going up hill.
    B. Use DWL technique to keep gas input constant which should bring the speed back to about 42.
    C. Light excel at crest to maintain speed (aka speed limit of 45ish).
    D. Rinse and Repeat.

Should this same technique be used with driving conditions that are in the 25-35 mph range? My guess is yes so a simple "Yeah" or "Nay" will suffice.

2) drop your gear selector down to hold fuel cut...

- I am guessing this is dropping my gear into Low or "L" the second gear setting below Drive.

3) Cruise Control Yes or No, your thoughts?

- going to search the site on this one but would like to hear your thoughts.

Thank you again for your time,

Joe

PS: Tire Pressure at Side wall max, oil is good, and have just put 10.7 gallons into my car for my first HM go. Wish me luck. My goal, which is set a bit high, is 400miles on this tank.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  5. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Welcome, Joe!

Unfortunately, as my '02 Elantra does not have DFCO I tend to think your Tiburon does not either.

Your cruise control won't be as good for FE as careful use of your foot on the pedal.

As for the torque converter, you've pretty much got it. The converter is a more direct and much more efficient connection to the wheels so you'll want to keep that sucker "locked up" as much as possible. :)

6. joejac

joejac Member

Thank you Sean. That pretty much clears up my questions. Now it is on to forum searching.

Thanks,

Joe

7. tiburonguy

tiburonguy New Member

What does this mean? I looked on the glossary search but could not find it.
    I drive a 2000 Auto Tiburon as well.

8. wolraht

wolraht Member

I will second this question. I haven '00 Elantra, so I imagine they are mechanically pretty similar, and I don't understand this either.

Thanks!

9. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

The overdrive gear in your automatic transmission is using a "torque converter" which is a different linkage than the other gears in your transmission. That linkage doesn't have as much mechanical friction associated with it so you don't get as much driveline efficiency loss when in this "gear." When you are in it, we say that the torque converter is "locked up" -- that's the state you want to be in.

In layman's terms, get it into top gear and keep it there. Many transmissions will shift into it at around 45mph or so but once in you can nurse it down to about 42mph if you are careful.