Wanting to get more than 51 mpg

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by Steve McDaniel, May 22, 2008.

1. Currently I travel from Bandon, Oregon to Coos Bay Oregon 5 or 6 times a week. Since getting my 2008 Prius I have been able to keep my average right around 51.4 mpg.

I think this is totally awesome since the spec are 48/45 but I know I can do better. On single runs when I have paid attention carefully I have gotten over 54.

The drive is around 30 miles and it goes from sea level to around 1200 ft, then back to sea level. The run to coos bay has one nice downhill run but several steeper uphill runs. On the way back there are more places where I can coast along at 99.9

What can I do to make the best of this trip? Two places that I think would help are starting in both cities. In Bandon and Coos Bay the first 5 minutes of driving are mostly 30mph zones. It seems I get my first block on the grid at between 25 at worst to about 35-40 at best.

I think this is because the car is cold maybe, as when I am at the end of a run in those same zones I tend to be a 99.9 most of the time?

Any help would be appreciated!

Just love my hybrid, I feel like I am saving the planet LOL

2. Vooch

Vooch Well-Known Member

tires PSI ?

P&G ?

DWL ?

3. The Tire PSI is at whatever they came with, I planned on checking that this weekend.

I don't have anything excess in the car except for my wife which works at the same place I do. I considered getting rid of her for the extra MPG but she assured me she'd end up with my Prius in divorce court anyway.

I am not sure what P&G is?

4. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

5. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

First thing is to make sure your tires are aired up to the maximum pressure indicated on the tire’s sidewall and not the dealer setting.

6. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Tire pressure is must. Do this first. Report back with your driving conditions and we can help more.

7. lamebums

lamebums Member

If you live close to a neighboring state, you may also want to consider looking into if the other states have non-ethanol in their gas and then driving there to fill up. It's even better if you actually have an errand to run in that direction, anyway. The savings from using 100% gas rather than E10 are huge (I saw a 16% increase in my FE overnight and a buddy with an '89 Cressida saw a ~20% gain with straight gas vs. E10.)

8. I will have the air pressure on the tires changed this week and see how that goes. As for how I drive. I start and stop the 30 mile commute with about 5 minutes of 30mph zones with stop lights if I time them right it goes well if not, the first 5 miles bites!

Then I head into about another 5 miles on either end that is fairly level, those I usually get in the 50-70 mpg range. Then the middle 10 miles is up and down. One direction I have longer down slopes than the other.

It is almost all 1 lane. There are 3 passing zones and often traffic so I have to at least keep close to 55, though if no one is on the road I have tried to play a bit with p&g, just really trying to learn that.

I drove about 80 miles tonight and got 57mpg which was pretty good I though :)

9. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

You should see a definate increase in FE after 3000 miles and again after 10,000 miles.

10. Cool I have done better on many runs using p&G techniques. I still need to adjust the air pressure. On the last tank I got 52.4 average so that is 1mpg gain. At the best part of the tank I was at 54.3 which is almost a 3mpg gain.

At 52 I am just about a 1 gallon per day commute. Much better than the 3 I was getting in my other car, you know the one, the gas guzzling, earth killing, beast of a fuel hog. LOL