Trying to get better mpg in a non-ideal vehicle - Grand Prix GTP

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by ankitn, May 16, 2008.

1. ankitn

ankitn New Member

I currently drive a 2000 Grand Prix GTP, my commute is 8 miles highway then 3 city every day. Sometimes that highway mileage ends up being bumper to bumper but more often than not it isn't. I also tend to have to drive around for work once or twice a week, where I am going changes each time so it is unpredictable. Also, once a month I have a 220 mile round trip drive which is about 95% highway.

I get about 22 mpg on the 11 mile commute and about 28 on the highway commute. I tend to keep it around 50-60 mph whenever possible and was hoping to pick up some tips to pick up some better mileage.

About my car - It has a 3.8 liter supercharged 6 cylinder with a 4 speed (OD) automatic tranmission. EPA estimates are 19/28 I believe.

2. g2k556

g2k556 Member

click, most are pointed toward hybrids, but my car isn't hybrid and they work ;) and is there an alternate route you can take other than the stop and go traffic?

3. ankitn

ankitn New Member

Yep, I have been reading that link for the last few minutes and just writin down a few notes. My car isn't hybrid, isn't manual, and is supercharged.. 3 strikes as far as mpg goes. Still just trying to maximize with what I have. As for alternate routes.. I work in a city so just about any way driving in is traffic filled, the way I go at least sometimes moves so its better than any alternative I have found.

4. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

We have several members in Buick Regal GS's - roughly the same car and the same engine. Just keep it as smooth as possible, and then make it smoother. It responds well to DWL.

5. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

Air up your tires to their max sidewall pressure and then keep the speeds around 55mph for the highway and maybe you can at least get the 220 miles of highway up to 30mpg.

6. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

7. moneysaver

moneysaver Well-Known Member

Doesn't the supercharger only come into play at high RPMs? Or atleast thats what I thought. I would suggest DWL, DWB, momentum maintainance and keep the tach below 2000 RPM at all times if possible. My car has 3.1 L OHV V6 and it accelarates with ok speed if I keep it below 2000. You might iritate some people behind you, but hey yor are paying for your own gas so they should not be allowed to decide how you drive to save on gas.

I am not sure if you can Fas your car or not. If you are new to some of the tricks, I would think that you should start with NICE-ON coasting until it becomes second nature. Its great for timing lights and gives quick boost in FE in short distances.

8. Titan1969

Titan1969 Well-Known Member

I used to drag race supercharged cars. I often had two pulleys...one for the drive to the strip and another for racing. Im sure you could pickup some larger pulleys for the supercharger and do a swap. With the larger pulley it would decrease your hp and reduce the tendency for the car to "boost". Then when your ready to "play" just swap them back. You might even have an easier way with that new of a vehicle. You might be able to adjust the blow off valve lighter...if you have such a thing. This would dump any boost the supercharger tries to make.

9. MikeN

MikeN Well-Known Member

Forget mpg and go spend some time at www.ClubGP.com :)

JK! 22mpg average isn't too bad, depending on your commute. You are keeping your speed at a good rate for that car... probably sitting at just over 2K RPM's.

10. nd4speed7

nd4speed7 Well-Known Member

I have a Buick LeSabre 3.8L V6 and I just recorded my best highway trip of 131 miles at 47 mpg. Since our cars are heavy they really like NICE-On coasting and DWB. I also have my tires at 46psi which I think helps alot. My city is about the same as yours but keep trying new techniques and the mileage will improve.