Smart ForTwo gets top marks in IIHS crash tests

Discussion in 'Mercedes-Benz' started by lamebums, May 14, 2008.

1. lamebums

lamebums Member

Tiny Smart car gets crash test kudos

[xfloat=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/523/Driving_SMART_next_to_a_dual_trailered_semi_Medium.jpg[/xfloat]Peter Valdes-Depena - CNN - May 14, 2008

Maybe this will help disprove fears that small cars can be safe while getting unbelievable gas mileage. - Ed.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The ultra-tiny Smart ForTwo earned top marks in side and front crash tests, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety said Wednesday. The two-seat car did not earn the Institute's Top Safety Pick designation, however, because it didn't earn top marks for whiplash protection.

But even if the ForTwo improved its whiplash protection, it would not be named a Top Safety Pick, said IIHS spokesman Russ Rader. The institute does not have a specific size requirement, but the ForTwo is simply too small to be considered safe under all conditions, including highway driving, he said

Smart would not comment on the IIHS's decision regarding the car's eligibility to be a Top Safety Pick.

The ForTwo, which is about three feet shorter and 700 pounds lighter than a Mini Cooper, earned the best possible rating of "Good" for front and side impact protection in tests by the IIHS, a private group funded by insurance companies.

The ForTwo received an "Acceptable" rating, which is the second best possible, for whiplash protection in rear impacts. Technically, that would prevent it from getting a "Top Safety Pick" from the IIHS.

The ForTwo is the smallest car the IIHS has ever tested. "All things being equal in safety, bigger and heavier is always better," said institute president Adrian Lund in an statement. "But among the smallest cars, the engineers at Smart did their homework and designed a high level of safety into a very small package.".…[rm]http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/14/autos/smart_fortwo_iihs_crash_test/index.htm?cnn=yes[/rm]

2. koreberg

koreberg Junior Member

My only argument against the size would be that if you exclude the s42 then nothing should get a top pick. A s42 vs hummer, is not nearly as bad as hummer vs semi. So if a large suv can get a top pick with semi's on the road, then the small car should too.

They give picks to suvs even though they roll over easier.

It is really a double standard, probably setup to force people into larger cars, to line the pockets of the car manufactures.

3. Vooch

Vooch Well-Known Member

bigger is manifestly NOT better as the IIHS own emprical data indicates - the safest car is a compact Audi A4 with a wheelbase of only 103" - it is fully 5x safer than an Expedition.

4. Earthling

Earthling Trying to be kind to Mother Earth

Plenty of semi drivers are killed in accidents, so size alone won't save you.

Having said that, I get better mpg with my Prius, and way more room that a Smart. If I lived in Manhattan, I might have a different view.

Harry

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Koreberg:

___I agree completely. On the Euro NCAP, the Fortwo earned a 4 * rating which is the equivalent to that of the Civic yet it is not recommended for a top pick due to its size here?

___Vooch, thanks for that piece of info!

___Harry, the Prius has a very roomy and comfortable feel for both the driver and the passengers but the Smart has more room and better ergonomics for the driver if you can believe it!

___Good Luck

___Wayne

6. zjrog

zjrog Active Member

I really like the Smart. I'm not in a position to buy one at this point, I need 4 seats. But have been impressed with the many crash tests I've seen on Youtube. I think they are a snazzy looking vehicle too. I think I could fit 4 in my garage!

7. STS

STS Member

And the pockets of insurers. They charge more for SUVs and 4x4s because they have the potential to do more damage.

8. Kevin108

Kevin108 Well-Known Member