Versa Checking in.

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by Just_Spiffy, May 8, 2008.

1. Just_Spiffy

Just_Spiffy Wasteful Noob

Hey all,

My name is Jordan and I am a nineteen year old full time college student and part time file clerk. I live in Redwood City by San Francisco in California.

Most of the week I drive less than 50 miles a day, just to school and work, though there are at least two days a week where it is closer to 150 miles due to going into the city for music. 280 to school and back and then 101 to the city and back.

My Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL 4 door hatchback with CVT and a 1.8 litre engine.

When regular gas hit $4:00 here I made a deal with myself to maximize my fuel economy. I have been driving between 50-55 for about a tank and my fe has gotten much better (I have written down the mileage since I got the car in October so I will add some numbers in when I get home tonight.) I've been neutral gliding with much happiness... until I read the owners manual today and found out that it's a big friggin no no for a cvt :Banane45:. I will not be able to afford a gauge for a couple of weeks but I do plan on getting one.

I was wondering where I should begin to become a more efficient driver?

Thanks!:)

2. kwj

kwj I hypermiled this

Best advice I can offer is to continue the path you have chosen. Read Wayne Gerdes introduction to Hypermiling on the Home Page. Read it slowly because it is chock full of ideas. He advises to go one thing at a time, and to practice in very low or no traffic conditions, to avoid your inevitable mistakes from involving others. Look well down the road to see traffic situations that are developing before you get there. You can avoid having to use your brakes as much. Also, keep a good idea of traffic behind you so you can compensate for them as they approach. Signal all turns so everyone knows your plans (keeps their impatience levels down). Accelerate slowly (this gets very subjective when you have others behind you). Decelerate slowly, without brakes. Keeping a fair buffer between you and the person in front helps make this more effective, as you can adjust your speed more easily rather than stomping on the gas or the brake when caught by surprise. Increasing tire pressure helps. There was an excellent article about this at http://www.officer.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=19&id=27281.

So much to say, but above all, keep a good eye out for the safest drive you can get. Also, check out other routes that may not have as many stop signs/lights. And learn the lights on the best route, so you can tell when to let off the accelerator, perhaps a bood time to kill the motor on longer lights, and maybe you'll just catch it green if you approach slowly enought. There's much more, have a great time, and ask specific questions. There's a lot of prior posts, well organized into sections, that should keep you happy for a long time (not to mention excessive MPGs!!!)