Transmission Damage with Pulse and Glide? AWD Automatic Subaru

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by stony.grunow, Apr 30, 2008.

1. stony.grunow

stony.grunow New Member

I have tested two methods of pulse and glide in a used car I recently bought, but would rather check with experts before I make a habit of it.

When heading downhill/coasting, I will either put my car in Neutral and leave the engine running, or put the car in Neutral, and move the Key half-off and immediately back to On (as is recommended). This works fine, but I am afraid of long term effects.

I have checked online, and have not found any information on the effect of coasting my car in Neutral with my specific transmission. I have a 2001 AWD Subaru Forester with Automatic Transmission. Hers is the info from Subaru's web page:

Automatic Transmission Models

All-Wheel Drive vehicles cannot be towed with any wheels on the ground. The vehicle can only be towed on a trailer with all four wheels off the ground and the transmission in park. ​

I'm not towing my Subaru, but the process is the same. Will I damage my transmission (or anything else) coasting in Neutral, with the engine either off or on, given that I have an AWD Automatic?

Many thanks for your kind help.

stony

2. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Since the manual advises against flat towing, don't turn the engine off while the car is in motion. The trans probably gets its lubrication from the engine driveshaft. It's almost certainly fine if you only did it a couple of times but I would rather see you play it safe from here on out.

You can probably coast in N with the engine running, and you can certainly cut the engine while sitting at a long light.

3. CarlD

CarlD Well-Known Member

The fluid pump for conventional A/Ts are driven by the torque converter. Engine off = no transmission fluid pressure.

4. rweatherford

rweatherford Times my Mileage by Six

Don't coast with the engine off in your car.

5. stony.grunow

stony.grunow New Member

Thank you for your help! I'll make sure I only coast in Neutral when the engine running.

6. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

Yeah don't coast with it off unless you have the manual tranny. On my brothers 2007 subie it throws a cel when he bumb starts. The cel code just says something like "not enough starter voltage", but anyways that would be a pain to have to turn it off everytime. So I guess I'm saying you can't even fas in the newer subies without throwing a cel.