Hello from Raleigh

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by lowmagnet, Apr 28, 2008.

1. lowmagnet

lowmagnet Member

Wow, the forum ate my (lengthy) post, and now I have to start over. :(

I have a 99 Accord V6 coupe, and I'm interested in getting more out of it MPG-wise. I'm on my first tank measuring, and I'll have hand-calculated results by the time I receive my scan-gauge from UPS.

My goal is 30mpg at the moment. My long-term goal is a more efficient car sometime in the next two years or so.

I wrote a lot more here, but since it got eaten, I'll just conclude that the past week of driving reasonably has been great for my stress levels. I leave much earlier and am able to juke rush hour both ways, and it does wonders for my commute time, even though I'm driving at the speed limit.

2. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club. You should start by reading the article "Beating the EPA" in the articles section and airing up those tires to the maximum psi listing on the tire's sidewall.

Keep us posted as to your progress.

3. lowmagnet

lowmagnet Member

I recently had my tires filled with nitrogen to near max sidewall. The next time I take the car in for service I'll ask them to come closer. Right now if I flick the tire with my finger, it rings. at 32 psi it just thuds.

4. kwj

kwj I hypermiled this

"Wow, the forum ate my (lengthy) post, and now I have to start over." The same thing happened to me before I figured things out. Now that I know, I often forget.

Welcome to the forum. You sound very motivated. I think you will be very surprized at what your Honda will show you. I had a Plymouth minivan with a 2.5 L four that I later traded in for a 3.0 L V6, but the larger version van. Guess what, the V6 got better MPG, and drove so much smoother.

Larger engines can do well. I had a L-4 Honda Accord. That thing really had power. I could get 32 highway, and around 27-28 combined. How does your Accord stack up to that? The challenge will be to see what improvements you are able to make. Stick with it. It is really worth the efforts. People here are able to do amazing things with their vehicles (I'm still trying). In fact, some day I hope to take a long trip just so I can see what kind of mileage is really possible. Gee, I haven't seen Mom in Florida in a long time.

Seriously, I'm very interested to see what an Accord V6 can really do. Please keep us posted. So, what oil are you using, tire pressure, Auto or manual, shift rpms, etc.?

5. lowmagnet

lowmagnet Member

I don't know what oil I'm running, but it's probably 5w-20, the summer weight recommended by Honda. I'll have to get a good digital tire gauge, because I don't want to let too much nitrogen out of the tires when measuring them.

All Accord gen 6 V6es are automatics in 1999. I don't know why.=. I'm accelerating over longer distances so I'm getting up to maybe 2000 rpm before shifting. 6000 is the 'redline' and I'm only using a third of the engine's power to get to work and back.

One thing I've learned about my local commute is that the traffic lights in Raleigh aren't able to be gamed so far. One set of three goes green at position one, and by the time you get to position 2 (1/4 mile) it's red. Then you head to the next one (1/8 mile) and it's either red or yellow. I don't bother driving much over 15 MPH here. There's just no point trying to game the lights.

On the other hand, on the other side of the valley (which I ride down and 1/2 up in neutral) there are about 5-6 lights that if you get a fresh green on the second one, you can P&G out to the highway ramp. Since I leave for work at 7am, I can usually make the left (yield green) at about 45, coast down the ramp and most of the way up again to get on the highway.

There is a hill on the highway that starts the descent to my office's exit. It takes a pulse up to 65 and a glide for a mile, then another pulse to get off and up an uphill off-ramp. I almost never catch that light lucky.

Then it's a 2-way road that I often find left-turners on, so I just go about 10 under and piss off the people behind me. I wonder if they get it when i coast up to someone turning left and have to wait 30 seconds for the other direction to clear.

This morning, I had a pickup truck behind me driven by Mr. Inahurry. He was on my backside on the aforementioned road, and turned headlights on and off several times, I guess to get my attention or something. He rode me a few times, so I just coasted a little slower in a cycle because there's no job worth racing 10-20 over on a residential road to get to.

6. kwj

kwj I hypermiled this

Wow, it sounds like you've got a lot of MPG talent, and have your commute figured out pretty well.

As to the tires, one person posting here yesterday had N2 put in his tires. He went back to have them up the pressure a bit, and found that all four tires were at a different pressure. Did they leak or were they not properly filled. Makes me wonder. I know having this done is not cheap. I just find that a higher tire pressure than on the door post has made my coasts last longer. Some hills that I could not maintain speed down, are now viable savings.

The weight oil you mention is probably pretty good. I assume you allow the dealer to do your oil changes. They probably put it on their itemized receipt.

It looks like I have little to offer you, so I'll beg out. When you get your ScanGauge, I believe you are in for a treat. There's miles left in your ride, that will help you find them. Keep us all posted. If you have any questions, please let us know.

7. lowmagnet

lowmagnet Member

Got my SGii today. Set it up in front of my ODO (up a bit so i can still get at its buttons) and went on a little drive (maybe 5 miles or so in evening traffic)

I got 27.8 MPG/trip (had to program the xgauge buffer to add that)

MPH reported by the engine is about 3 less than the dash reports. I don't know how correct it is until I balance the results of the sgii against a tank i guess.

I can't wait to see my mpg/trip tomorrow on the commutes.

8. kwj

kwj I hypermiled this

Lowmagnet, read your SG2 manual carefully, as to how to perform your first fill. As I recall, I screwed mine up and had to do another tank to get it set right. My SG2 was pretty well set up to begin with. I considered loaning it to a new hypermilier, but I'd feel like I was driving without a speedometer or something like that.

I have been using TPS so I can see how my twitchy accelerator foot really is. You can use it to "feather" the pedal just a tad. I also use coolant temp to monitor the radiator block I use during cooler weather. I use instantaneous MPG, and Trip MPG, as feedback to how effective I am Hypermiling.

I wish I had GPS so I could really fine tune it. I've used highway mile markers in different areas and come up with some variance. Of course, how accurate are my eyeballs and reflexes? So, I'm close, but not exact. I've gotten to the point of being able to rely on it to extend my tanks.

9. lowmagnet

lowmagnet Member

I have set my tank at 17 gallons, as the manual reads 17.2 gal, and sgii doesn't do fractional gallons.

So, navigate to fuel and hit done-done the first time? then hit it up again at 3/4 tank? sounds simple enough.

I hear you on the GPS, I'd like to borrow one and have someone help me out from the office with that.

I'll try the throttle position sensor thing.

10. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

welcome to cleanmpg, i have something similar, just not as much power, (a 1999 auto v6 avenger) so far I'm averaging 36mpg city/hwy, 33 city, 43 highway, epa is 19 city/27 hwy, new 2008 epa is 17/25, just so you get an idea of what gains you could expect. keep working at it, and I have some more ways to go, I know i can improve on the city mileage, that is my biggest obstacle, i should be able to get it up to 36 mpg city, we'll see.

11. lowmagnet

lowmagnet Member

My car under new EPA is 18/26 (21 combined) and since my commute is 75/25 city/highway, my morning number today of 28.0 is awesome!

I need to find someone with a GPS, and then do a fill up next week to start my first sgii tank to get it calibrated. This 3 mph difference between dash and sgii is something I want to clear up ASAP.

:Banane35:

12. kwj

kwj I hypermiled this

28.0 awesome? That is a great beginning, but just wait!

13. lowmagnet

lowmagnet Member

Well it's awesome for having to emergency accelerate at one point, and having to brake too many times and getting stuck at three or four lights for a minute each. If only I could move my home to a highway on ramp.

14. lowmagnet

lowmagnet Member

I was just out at lunch and got 27.2 avg in the worst traffic ever.
    Also, I measures one of my tires and it was at 34.2 or so. I'll inflate them after getting my mph and tank calibrated through one tank's worth of fuel. I don't want to add too many variables at once, and I don't feel safe at 44psi. It's a rough ride to me, and it will increase wear on the core of my tire's tread which I don't like, either.

Oh, I saw a smashed to heck VW Jetta or Golf TDI with cops all around it. Front passenger QP was obliterated. At the next light, I saw a lady in a $60-120k Mercedes rear end a woman in a Saturn. Looked like $6k of damage to the Meche, not too much to the Saturn. Go rubber baby buggy bumpers!

15. kwj

kwj I hypermiled this

And I thought the Golden Triangle was paradise!

I forgot to send you to the EPA site for Accords: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=browseList2&make=Honda&model=Accord

When you go there, find out what the original EPA numbers were for your vehicle. Those are the numbers we are using when we log our tanks under the Mileage Logs. The stats are configured to automatically balance our older vehicles with the 2008 ones.

There is a new member with an Accord V6., from Georgia. Perhaps you two could compare notes as to what works best for you.

16. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Lowmagnet, we have many members running high pressures in their tires and they do not see uneven wear on their tire tread. Modern radial tires are steel belted -- those belts prevent tire tread from deviating from level in the center no matter how high the pressure is. The only change you should see with higher pressure is a reduction in wear at the very edges of the tread because the sidewalls will be flatter and will not deform (flex) as much near the contact patch with the road.

17. lowmagnet

lowmagnet Member

Well this morning's commute was bad. I took a different route because it's two miles shorter, and that was a mistake. It took me through a valley, and when it dumped me on the highway it was a incline all the way to the point where I normally get on it. On top of that, people were aggressively accelerating, and I had to make a lane change because a lane drops off onto another road via off-ramp. Not worth it. 2 miles shorter = 2 mpg less. (27.2 vs 29)

I got right-passed by someone in a van too. The van used an exit lane to do it, then got off less than a half mile later. Classy.

Though it pains me to do so, I'll eat the cost of filling my tires with nitrogen if max sidewall will improve my mileage greatly.

eta: I got 30 mpg on the way home yesterday, and I wasn't really trying hard. I found that I could p+g this entire 2 mile segment in one shot. This is the main reason I want to try maxing sidewall.

18. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Most here will tell you that filling your tires with nitrogen isn't worth it... and I'm one of them. You are better off spending the money on a small compressor and a good tire gauge. You should check your tire pressures often even if they hold pressure well so that you discover any leaks due to damage quickly.

Keep trying alternatives and definitely get those tire pressures up!

19. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

I think what your seeing out of your speedometer, vs the scanguage is pretty typical. Both my Elantra and my Sedona speedometers are 3-4 MPh off when compared to the GPS. The Elantra speedo reads much more accurately during open loop, but when the engine warms up and goes closed loop, you can count on it being at least 3 MPh off. There was a big flap about the 07 Elantras being 7-10 MPh off. The only fix was to have the dash cluster replaced. I'm in Johnston County, and end up driving past Raleigh on my way into Durham and back every day, by the by.

20. lowmagnet

lowmagnet Member

Darn it, I filled up without being in the right mind-set and now my numbers for my first tank will be 2 miles off. Probably not a big deal in the long run though.

I got all four wheels up to 44 psi. I had one wheel @32, one @40, one @36 and another @34. Gotta love mechanics (these were filled last week)

On my way home I saw 32 mpg on my meter but that was a 2-3 mile trip.