Is Honda 0w-20 oil synthetic?

Discussion in 'Honda' started by pdogg81, Apr 22, 2008.

1. pdogg81

pdogg81 Active Member

I'm having a lot of trouble finding Mobil-1 0w-20 in my area, and was wondering if it is even that much different than the oil I can buy at the dealership. It can be a real hassle finding time for an oil change at the dealer, so I'd like to do it myself most of the time.

Does anyone know if the "Genuine" Honda 0w-20 oil is conventional or synthetic?
  2. Euroford

Euroford Well-Known Member

I can't answer your question, but I happened to be in Walmart over the weekend and they had Mobil 1 0W-20, so I bought enough for an Insight oil change. Anyone who knows me will attest to my total and absolute disdain of Walmart, and the reason I was in there over the weekend was completely my Wife’s doing. That said, it had a positive outcome! :D

Have you looked in your local Walmart for Mobil 1 0w-20?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  3. warthog1984

warthog1984 Well-Known Member

4. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I've heard some say Honda's oil is synethetic, but don't quote me.
  5. msantos

msantos Eco Accelerometrist

According to my sources Honda's 0W20 is not synthetic. However, they also say it meets much of the performance criteria that the 0W20 synthetics provide on the HCH-II.
    In fact our own WHG tests indicated that using a purely synthetic like Mobil1 0W20 over the Honda sourced 0W20 offers negligible benefits in terms of FE. The engine wear oil lab results also did not reveal much deviation either. We conducted the tests during 2007 on 5 different higher mileage 2006 models.

6. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Amsoil has a 0-20 full syn available. You can order it online or get it from your local Amsoil dealer. We have a quick change place that is using Amsoil now.
  7. pdogg81

pdogg81 Active Member

I too am a Wal-mart hater, but went there yesterday since I heard they sometimes carry Mobil-1 0w20, but no dice at the store I went to.

Thanks for the info. Were those tests done on high mileage vehicles that have used conventional oil up to that point, or were the ones tested with synthetic using synthetic since their initial break-in?
  8. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Another factor to consider in whether to use petroleum or synthetic is the drain intervals.

Amsoil is up to 25,000 miles between changes. I have used a slightly different schedule and have gone over 30,000 in the Insight.
  9. sonyhome

sonyhome Member

For any oil questions google BITOG (bob is the oil guy). They also did a study on oil breakdown over something like 20K or 100K miles (?) for Mobil-1 and maybe Amsoil synthetic, which took over a year to do, and a study of oil filters which seem to have
    wide variations.

As for synthetic, there are also different grades. Most synth are the cheap kind maide from cracked mineral oil. Pure synth requires less additives and are more stable.

Grade reading is weird: 0W20 and 5W20 are both SAE20 when the engine is at normal temperature, but behave different at cold temperatures. The 0 means I think it behaves like X at -35C while the 5 means it behaves like X at -30C or -25C (that part is all weird, in particular since it's not the same properties measured either).

Bottom line, best bang for the buck is:
    - Mobil-1 0W20 synth / long run
    - Bosch filters
  10. msantos

Of the six cars in the test, the dealer used Mobil 1 on 3 and 0W20 Honda oil on the other three. For 5 of the cars, this happened at their second oil change; the 6th car had this done at its 3rd oil change. One of the cars was later involved in an accident so we had do kind of drop it from the sample.

By "high mileage" I meant, vehicles that accumulate a lot of miles/year. My cars were not a suitable candidate since I can go for an entire year before the maintenance minder shows 15% oil life.

11. some_other_dave

some_other_dave Well-Known Member

Actually, the 0 before the "W" means that it acts like a "zero weight" oil would act at 32F (0C) when it is at 32F. The 5 acts like a "5 weight" would act at 32F.

And the "normal temperature" is 212F, or 100C.

....At least, that's how it worked when last I checked, a couple of years ago...

Oh, and the "W" means that it is approved for use in the Winter. Not sure how/why.

12. sonyhome

sonyhome Member

Thanks for clarifying my confused comment. :)

However I do remember that the temperatures used for the 1st digit were not consistent and way below 0C, maybe it was the temp used for testing the oil...

Bottom line is a 0W20 will stay more consistently fluid at low temp, while a pure SAE20 will be thicker at low temp.

Also looks like BITOG might be loosing ground because of despotic forum banning enforcement.
  13. warthog1984

warthog1984 Well-Known Member

The numbers in an multigrade oil are [equivalent single-weight oil based on Pour Point], [W signifying Cold or "Winter" number in front], [Equivalent single-weight based on performance]

The first number is based off what single grade oil would have the same cold performance based on lower pourable temp.
  14. Shan

Shan SGII Equiped FIT Driver....finally!

what kind of mpg increase has been seen from the 0w20 vs. 5w20?
  15. msantos

On the HCH-2 the dealer may use 5w20 if and only if the recommended 0W20 oil is not in stock. There have been owners who got the 5w20 in their oil change and noticed a fall in FE that ranged from 10 to 15 MPG.

Other higher friction engines will likely show a much smaller difference between 5W20 and 0W20.

16. bear15

bear15 Well-Known Member

It is also our understanding that the Honda 0w-20 is not synthetic. Btw, this week our Advance Auto had a special on Mobil 1 oil. Purchase 5 qts for $25.00 and receive a Mobil 1 oil filter free (usally $9 or $10).

We change our own oil and only use 3 qts. per oil change which put the level just under the full mark on the dip stick. Hope this helps.

17. Shan

well, it looks like I need to swap out the 5w20 for some 0w20 at wal-mart. I am up for more mpgs!
  18. Shan

Change the oil and the 0w20 is like water! This stuff is scary! I hope it lasts. The bottle says it meets and exceeds requirements for 5w20......................time will tell.
  19. pdogg81

pdogg81 Active Member

I switched over from Honda 0w20 to Mobil1 0w20 yesterday. I don't notice any real difference in the feel of the engine. Today my mpg numbers were horrible, but battling 50mph wind gusts in a downpour on the highway may have had something to do with that :p.

I'm gonna jump on that mobil 1 oil/filter deal. Thanks for the heads up, bear15.
  20. da9dad

da9dad .68 Caliber player

So I'm wondering if I was to go from the 5W-30 to 0W-20 on my B series Honda motor which rests in my Integra, would that be a good move for increasing FE???? Or is there 5W-30 synthetic??