Turning a Guzzler into a Hypermiler

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by wykkyd666, Apr 21, 2008.

1. wykkyd666

wykkyd666 New Member

Hello all!

Really excited to start improving my mpg. I just started using techniques on this past Friday on my commute back from home by just drifting, driving slower and coasting on hills. My car, a Chrysler Concorde is rated at 27 mpg on the highway and by just using these simple things I went up to 36 mpg on my ride home, a 30 mile drive on the interstate. Was so pumped by my improvement that I'm going fully into it.

Got my tires inflated to a nice 45 psi, we'll see how that helps I'm thinking perhaps of going above 50 from some things I've read. Got some fuel injector cleaner and going to change my oil to synthetic blend at a lighter rating. Can't wait to see how much more I can go! If I can get my car up to 50 mpg, that will be huge! In essence I would be cutting my fuel cost in half, which is a big deal these days. Gas just hit $3.45 here in Iowa. So I would be paying $1.73 a gallon if you think about it. Sounds like a dream!

Couple of years I may lease a hybrid, but I think I can still do some good with my current vehicle. If anyone advanced techniques or any other suggestions, I'm open to trying almost anything. Each drive to and from work is going to be a competition with myself to do better. Incidentally my conversion aligned quite well with Earth Day this year. Hooray for Earth!

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Wykk:

___Welcome to CleanMPG!

___From the sounds of it, you have your head in the right place and if I may be so bold, everyone here at CleanMPG is looking forward to your reduced consumption almost as much as you are. After all, a gallon less you use is a gallon less we all use and you cannot do much better than that!

___With that, take small steps, read, practice one technique until it becomes second nature and move to the next. Trust me when I say take the low hanging fruit first because a new hypermiler trying to combine the entire tool box can get into trouble plus the results can be somewhat poor. With that caveat out of the way, go forth and conquer all the while having fun in a very safe and courteous manner :D

PS: Love the Cubs avatar ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

3. MontanaMiler

MontanaMiler Active Member

Congrats wykk,

I remember the feeling when I first started hypermiling. I too drive a much larger gas guzzler then you (23 on the highway) and feel proud of myself when I see gradual improvement in my gas mileage. When I started out, I was the typical teenager (16-17) doing donuts and burning rubber in my Montana. Then I discovered this webpage, and so decided to start saving fuel. A little while after, I started reaching the EPA rating and then now I'm getting 27-28 mpg over 23 easily. So while everyone in a Montana is paying $1.328 a liter, I'm only paying $1.06 a liter for the same distance! It's fun trying to get better and better mileage everytime, and you do this by fine-tuning your skills.

Congrats on making the change my friend, I'm sure you'll feel a sense of achievement in it. With the money you get to keep by conserving fuel, you can buy yourself a half dozen beer on those hot sunny days with the BBQ going. :)

Look forward to hearing from you,
    Justin

PS: Dont be afraid to ask any one of us anything about Hypermiling, that's what we're here for. :)