07 TDI's will no longer be available :(

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by xcel, Feb 11, 2006.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___Besides what has been posted over at VWVortex and TDIClub (VOLKSWAGEN to retire Pumpe-Duese Technology (2007)), the following may be pertinent to any one of us interested in high FE …

___I just got back from the Chicago Auto show yesterday afternoon and have some very sad news ... I noticed not 1 TDI on the floor. Most here already know that the smaller automobiles w/ diesel engines are not capable of meeting the new 07 EPA Tier 2/Bin5 emissions specs even on ULSD. The European diesels even w/ DPF's, specialized NOx and SCR CAT's, EGR’s, and high-pressure common rails are nowhere near the EPA's Tier II/Bin5. With that, the engineer I spoke with told me that VW will sell a given amount of 06's into the late 06 MY (if there are any left?) but they can no longer provide the 1.9 and 2.0 TDI's to the American consumer once those 06’s have been sold. This engineer did mention that the Toureg w/ the Diesel V10 will still be allowed (it is in a heavy truck weight category due to its GVWR). This engineer’s best guess is that VW will have a cost effective small diesel emissions control package available in mid to late 08. We can only hope ...

2006 VW Jetta TDI, The end of an era :(

[​IMG]

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  2. tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker Platinum Contributor

Hi;

Well this is surely going to have a whole lot of VW Fans upset to say the least. I was looking at the TDI VW Beetle with the DSG Trans. when I decided to go with the HCH II from Honda. I have driven and tested the TDI Beetle a couple of times with the DSG Trans and really was impressed with the Power this car has. The torque that it produces from the small Turbo Diesel Engine is (IMO) Fantastic. It is to me alot of fun to drive with the 6-Sp. DSG Trans. I came very close to owning one. I think this is going to be a very big disappointment to the VW Community. Sad::(

If I failed to mention this, the fuel gauge just barely moved while driving this car in Lexington, Ky. on a Rainey Saturday morning with my Brother. He even liked the Beetle and that sure surprised me. Him being the Corvette type. I really think this is going to be a loss to everyone.

This is New News to me.

Terry

3. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

I'm sure there will be some grey market TDI type cars coming in to the states. Also, Maybe in 3 or 4 years they will bring back the TDI with some modifications to make it pass emissions.

4. tigerhonaker

Yeah;
    I hope that will be the case because there are forums that I still belong to that they exist for the Diesels. The tdi's are really popular even in Canada. There were quite a few members from Canada as I remember Posting on those Forums.
    Terry

5. JasonL

JasonL Member

A year later...

I'm chiming in here because I have a 2003 TDI Beetle. I really don't understand why they stopped making TDI's. They are good cars mine is great for commuting.

6. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

EPA,,, The engines dont meet the regs. The new cleaner oil burners should be forth coming in the next few years,, as I understand it.

psy

7. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Just thought of an idea - what if Honda gets the clean diesel technology in first and offers a diesel Civic?

8. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

I think VW will still beat Honda to the punch by a few months. With power/torque up 40%/33% though, I have to wonder how good the fuel economy is going to be:

http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/12424/first-drive-2008-volkswagen-jetta-tdi.html

My understanding is Honda won't have their diesel ready until MY2009. They've hinted that it might be available in the Civic (which would be great -- now bring the Civic Wagon back to the US too!), but they haven't confirmed it. All in all, I'd much rather have a Civic than a Golf or Jetta: maintenance is the one reason I've backed away from VW TDI in the past.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  9. xcel

Hi Wriconsult:

___Funny that this thread was bumped … I received an invite from the APA this morning to test drive some diesels we do not have available here in the states just yet. I am going to talk to Rich (Pravus Prime) and see if I can not only make it to Detroit for this but see if I can get Rich in the door as well?

***********************************​

APA LUNCHEON - Thursday, June 28th

Honeywell Turbo Diesel Ride and Drive

Mercedes, Honda, BMW, Volkswagen, Chrysler, Audi and others have announced plans to bring high tech, direct-injection turbodiesels to the U.S. market over the next 12 to 24 months. Honeywell Turbo Technologies, the pioneer of the variable geometry turbos that power these fast yet frugal vehicles, will give media a chance to drive several of these cars in advance of their U.S. introduction at an Automotive Press Association event on June 28th at the Gem Theater, 333 Madison in downtown Detroit, located next to the Detroit Athletic Club. Olivier Rabiller, Vice President, Honeywell Turbo Technologies, will be presenting.

Vehicles include:

BMW 330d six-speed (and 328i gasoline comparison vehicle)
    BMW X5 (and X5 3.0i gasoline comparison vehicle)
    Chrysler 300C CRD
    Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD
    Mercedes Benz E320 CDI
    Audi Q7 V6 TDI (and gasoline comparison vehicle)
    Honda Civic 2.2 CTDI

Refreshments will be available at 11:30 a.m. followed by lunch at noon.

***********************************​

___Notice the two I highlighted? It would be great if the test drives are long enough to actually see how well or poor our European counterparts drive with the magnificent diesels they have available to them ;) Of course they don’t meet the US emissions specs yet but another year or two and some will :)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

10. tigerhonaker

Hi Jason,

:D TDI's are Great and I should know I drove enough of them on Demo rides trying to find one that had all the "Options" on it. I did not ever find one (Sadly) as I got into the Forum for Beetles I found out that VW Dealers are as a Group a Nightmare to Deal-With. :( So I just gave up after staying on that Forum for a very long time and Posting with the owners from all over the USA as well as the World. Owners in the USA Loved their cars but Hated the VW Dealers.

As you say and I agree with you the TDI is a Very-Very-Fun car to drive. Also I did purchase the 1st year that the New Beetle came out and got the Turbo GTS/GTI Beetle. Loaded up in Black with Beige Leather Interior. Sadly even back then had bad luck with the local VW Dealer. Car Great, Dealer Bad News. :(

Also had a New Mercedes Turbo Diesel and that thing would rock and Roll. Great FE (Fuel-Economy).

Terry (tiger)

BTW, Two-Thumbs Up for the TDI Beetle: :)

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Banned

Whoo!! Count me in!

I'm interested in the Jeep Grand Cherokee, given that recent review that ran.

12. xcel

Hi Rich:

___I will call Rachelle tomorrow and see what we can work out. I am really excited but I bet we only get about 10 minutes in each :(

___So you are not the “Tundra MAX boy” any more? Toyota will be so disappointed ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

13. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my keyboard ...

OK. Wow. I imagine this is a Euro or Asian spec Civic, but by having the Civic diesel show up at this event, can we is assume it may actually be headed our way?

That would be great if you guys can get in there and see how those things drive. Hopefully they'll let you plug in a ScanGauge and find out how they do under hypermiling techniques.

14. xcel

Hi WriConsult:

___That is exactly what we have planned if we attend. The 330d and Civic iCDTi are the Euro versions and if they give us maybe 30 minutes in each, I am positive we will be able to see a few things. I will bring a camera ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

15. tigerhonaker

Wayne,

I wish they would let you do a Complete Walk-Around with Video Recorder: :D

Terry

16. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

All I can say is that the EPA needs to get the 2x4 out of its you-know-where and be a little more friendly to diesels. They're doing this country a great disservice, IMHO, by not allowing Europe's great common-rail, direct-injection diesels over here.