Archives

View Full Version : Scangauge Tips and Tricks

Dan
08-13-2007, 06:16 PM
OK... here's a quick write-up on some SGII tips and tricks.

Calibration
The math may get a bit fuzzy, but I'll try to clod trough it. There are two settings you can set, one is Speed plus or minus whole percents (±1%, ±2%, ±3%...). This effects MPH, DIST, MPG, DISTANCE TO EMPTY (think that's it). So if you see that SGII is reading too low on MPG, DIST, or MPH, then bump up SPEED, till MPH on the gauge and on the dash match (or until DIST on the gauge and on the odometer match).

The other setting you can adjust is in FILLUP and that controls how it monitors fuel use. This is a plus or minus percent meant to get the gallons you put in the tank to match the gallons SG calculated you burned. This effects GPH, MPG, DIST TO EMPTY. So if SG has calculated that less gas was burned than what you just pumped in, the set calibration to some positive percent till they come in line. The manual (http://www.scangauge.com/support/pdfs/SGIIManual.pdf) (search fillup) goes over this to some detail.

Now the interesting part comes when you start comparing your MPG. Since for me the MPG is the most important figure. MPG is Miles/gallon. Another ratio to state it is MPH/GPH (GPH=gallon per hour).

So increasing MPH increases MPG.
Decreasing MPH decreases MPG.
Increasing GPH decreases MPG.
Decreasing GPH increases MPG.

Sounds simple, but it's easy to get mixed up. So if SG reports a lower MPG than we calculate (either at the pump or on the FCD) then we need to increase MPG. We can do this by either increasing (+%) the speed calibration or decreasing (-%) the fillup calibration. And conversely if SG reports a higher MPG than we calculate (either at the pump or on the FCD) then we need to decrease MPG. We can do this by either decreasing (-%) the speed calibration or increasing (+%) the fillup calibration.

Confused yet? I've added a spreadsheet to the uploads section to do the math for you.
ScanGaugeII Calibration Worksheet (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=14)

Now there is a little trick I found on the FILLUP calibration. I found it best to do FILLUP>DONE without calibrating, then when gallons consumed is 0.0 do FILLUP again (before you start the car), that way you can set the calibration in arbitrary tenths of a percent 1.1%, 1.2% ... etc. Try it on your next tank to see for yourself.

Daisy-Chaining
If you have more than one SGII and want multiple TANK (ie trip) totals, or multiple CURRENT totals, you can hook them up to each other. This is also a nice way to see the trip MPG on one gauge and instantaneous MPG on the other.

To daisy chain, hook up one gauge as you always do, then in the "second" connection spot, run a standard (not crossover) PC network cable from one gauge to the other. Before you try it, I'd recommend setting MODE to AUTO and RATE to SLOW on the car your trying this on. Some protocols are easier to daisy-chain than others, so expect limited results.

EDIT: Added hacks once I got the green flag
Power
Ever long for a power cord for your SGII so you didn't have to go back out to your car with a pen to transcribe data. Turns out they are simple to make.

Edit: Had +/- inverted... fixed it... sorry guys, and thanks to 2002sl2no4 for finding the error

First lets name stuff. Call the button with the red circle around it the HOME key. Now look at the pins that you plug the plug into closest to the home key. Now call the copper wire closest to the home key PIN1 and the wire furthest from the home key (on that connector) PIN8. To power SGII outside of your car, hook a 9v battery too it. <Edit> Negative (-) to PIN1 and Positive (+) to PIN8 </Edit>

Now if you want to record all your TODAY and PREVIOUS DAY trip data, you can simply pull it out of the car and throw it in your pack and power it with your DC power adapter.

Demo Mode
Once you have it hooked to a 9v, you can put it in demo mode. To go into demo mode from the home (connecting) screen.

1) Press MORE>MORE>MORE
2) Press Lower Left button 5 times
3) Press HOME button

I can't think of any use for Demo Mode other than to demo it. One downside is that the miles and gallons the demo-car uses will be added to your totals. So it will pollute your tank, today and previous day trip data. Still kinda fun though. I'm trying to get all my friends interested, so this turns out to be a neat little trick.

Edit: Added a section below
Procrastination Mode
I don't know about you, but I'm all for putting off till tomorrow, what should be done today. On that note, it's always a bit of a chore to sit down and write all my "CURRENT" mpg from trip to trip. "TANK" and "TODAY" I know will still be there when I get back to my car, but once SG goes to sleep, "CURRENT" is gone. So I figured out a way to make "CURRENT" stick (mpg at least), so you can dash into that meeting your late for, rest assured that you can log the data when you get back. Here's how.

1) Right before you power down, just go and peak at the "CURRENT" mpg.
2) Once that screen is up, power-down, and run like mad to catch your meeting.
3) When you return to the car, relaxed, pull out a pen and watch closely when you power up your car. For 1 second, your "CURRENT" mpg is still there.
4) Write it down quickly before it goes away and hypermile home.

I actually use this a lot since my garage is west facing. It gets well over 100 in there when I pull in, and the last thing I want to do is sit in that sauna and jot down figures. I usually catch it after dinner instead.

firenurse4
08-13-2007, 10:14 PM
I was not aware of any other calibration besides the fillup one. Since my trip odometer and the scangauge are off, I will look into the other calibration. That would come in handy since my last tank, I forgot to reset the trip odometer :rolleyes:. Thanks for posting this.

Dan
08-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Added two more tricks once I had them tested and verified.

tbaleno
08-13-2007, 10:44 PM
is the jack that you plug the power into an rj45 type plug? If so, one could probably make a simple battery connector from parts at radio shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062218&cp=2032058&f=Taxonomy%2FRSK%2F2032058&categoryId=2032058&kwCatId=2032058&kw=9+volt+battery&parentPage=search
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2255112&cp=2032058&pg=1&f=Taxonomy%2FRSK%2F2032058&categoryId=2032058&kwCatId=2032058&kw=crimper&parentPage=search
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2280567&cp=&pg=1&sr=1&origkw=rj45&kw=rj45&parentPage=search

Kind of expensive to do just one, but the price would be cheaper for 50 or so.

Dan
08-13-2007, 11:11 PM
I just did ;)

I went even cheaper though. I pulled some "dead" PC network cables out of the trash at work. Then took a wire cutter and some electrical tape and hooked the right leads up to the right pins.

Presto!

PS.. Pics on the way.

Dan
08-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Pics of my evening hackery ;)

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/500/SG_DC_Power.jpg

Skwyre7
08-14-2007, 07:02 AM
For some reason, that kind of scares me. Perhaps it's the Frankentstein-ishness of the picture. ;)

Dan
08-15-2007, 12:23 AM
OK... figured out the CMNDS stuff. Here's a list of commands you can play with that should work:

0100 - PIDs supported
0101 - Number of trouble codes and I/M info
0103 - Fuel system status
0104 - Calculated engine load value
0105 - Engine coolant temperature
0106 - Short term fuel % trim—Bank 1
0107 - Long term fuel % trim—Bank 1
0108 - Short term fuel % trim—Bank 2
0109 - Long term fuel % trim—Bank 2
010A - Fuel pressure
010B - Intake manifold pressure
010C - Engine RPM
010D - Vehicle speed
010E - Timing advance
010F - Intake air temperature
0110 - MAF air flow rate
0111 - Throttle position
0112 - Sec.(?) air status
0113 - Oxygen sensors present
011C - OBD standards this vehicle conforms to
011F - Run time since engine start
0120 - PIDs supported 21-40
0121 - Distance traveled with malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on
0122 - Fuel Rail Pressure (relative to manifold vacuum)
0123 - Fuel Rail Pressure (diesel)
012C - Commanded EGR
012D - EGR Error
012E - Commanded evaporative purge
012F - Fuel Level Input
0130 - # of warm-ups since codes cleared
0131 - Distance traveled since codes cleared
0132 - Evap. System Vapor Pressure
0133 - Barometric pressure
0140 - PIDs supported 41-60 (?)
0141 - Monitor status this drive cycle
0142 - Control module voltage
0143 - Absolute load value
0144 - Command equivalence ratio
0145 - Relative throttle position
0146 - Ambient air temperature
0147 - Absolute throttle position B
0148 - Absolute throttle position C
0149 - Accelerator pedal position D
014A - Accelerator pedal position E
014B - Accelerator pedal position F
014C - Commanded throttle actuator
014D - Time run with MIL on
014E - Time since trouble codes cleared
0902 - Vehicle identification number (VIN)

More info on the whole conversation at PriusChat here. (http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=37326&st=0&p=495950&#entry495950)

More info on PIDs and how they are used here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs)

psyshack
08-15-2007, 06:44 AM
OK ,,, so what am I going to do with this info. :)

psy

Dan
08-15-2007, 10:31 AM

psy

0133 - Barometric pressure

Low pressure yields less air resistance = better MPG. Help me to correlate low MPG days with high pressure fronts (couldn't be anything else ;)). To bad Toyota didn't support PID 33.

Dan
08-15-2007, 03:05 PM

psy

2F - Fuel Level Input (Tank fill percentage ... I think). 0-100%. A possibly more accurate guess gauge.

06-09 - Fuel Trim - I'm thinking this might show up (intentionally) LEAN when a Honda is in LeanBurn (LB).

10 - MAF air flow rate - This may be a way for cars that use Variable Displacement (VDis) to tell when some cylinders have cut out.

22 - Fuel Rail Pressure - This may show when the injectors have been cut in fuel-cut (FC) (ie when a prius is in WS).

So knowing when the car is in LB, VDis or FC may help SGII+ fix some of the MPG drift problems that are present in these conditions. They could also be used by one's co-pilot to figure out if your car support LB, VDis or FC (assuming my reading of this data is correct... a big assumtion).

CarlD
08-15-2007, 06:19 PM
I posted a list of Enhanced PIDs for the Ford Escape Hybrid in the Ford section. Many of these can be read with the SG as is, hopefully the updated SG will be able to display most in the gauge mode.

This weekend I looked at my brother-in-law's RX400h, and it is CAN and there are enhanced PIDs available for it. I know someone with an '04 Prius, so maybe I can look at that also. I wouldn't be able to make a spreadsheet for these vehicles, but I might be able to get a PID list of some sort.

The FEH has a PID that indicates fuel cut. I imagine lean burn could be detected from the O2 sensor voltage in some other vehicle.

Dan
08-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Well I know some commands for the Prius Classic, but don't know how to implement them for the Prius II. Some one using a different scantool managed to get SOC with the following command:

82D5F10191

Where D5 is the Battery ECU and 91 is the Battery ECU's PID for SoC. I haven't figured out what 82, F1, or 01 represent though.

I've tried variations of this combo with out success:

82D591
82F191
D50091
D50191
D5F191
F10091
F10191

Dan

All fail on a Prius II (fail = nothing comes back at all).

CarlD
08-15-2007, 11:21 PM
Try 220000,230000,AE0000 and see if they return anything like:
620000xxxxxxxx or 630000xxxxxxxx or E20000xxxxxx

If they do, then try 220191 or 230191 or AE0191

Don't have access to a CAN Toyota to try it myself.

Dan
08-16-2007, 12:06 AM
All failed...

Interesting idea though... xx0000 should give the support mask for mode xx.

I think 0-9 are OBD standards... so I just run XX from 0A to FF. If I do 10 a day, should have it done by next month :D

I'll keep the thread posted.

I also posted to Yahoo Group: Prius_Technical_Stuff (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Prius_Technical_Stuff/) they do lots of OBD and CAN tear downs there.

hobbit
08-16-2007, 12:21 AM
I would strongly encourage anyone saying "try this string
of random numbers" to stop and DOCUMENT exactly what said
string of numbers is doing, what fields they map to inside
the given protocol's packet frames, and why the fields are
set the way they are. Nobody's going to learn anything by
blind parroting of values. We want to work toward forming
complete protocol documents, not just "plug in this black
box" thinking.
_H*

CarlD
08-16-2007, 03:51 AM
Well, for the current SG, what you do for CAN is send mode and PID, so the message ID, etc is not relevant....yet. The FEH replicated the mode $01 PIDs in their enhanced mode $22 PIDs, so I thought Toyota might have done the same. The 220000 is just mode $22, PID $0000, 230000 is mode $23, PID $0000, AE0000 is mode $AE, PID $0000. These are the enhanced data modes, so I'm surprised there wasn't some response. Does the Prius return anything for mode $09, PIDs $02 or $06? These are VIN and VCD PIDs and no responses might indicated insufficient time out because of the volume of data they return.

Dan
08-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Opps... looked liked I fat fingered the write up on the DC adapter. Inverted the really only relevant point... The power leads.

Had +/- inverted... fixed it... sorry guys, and thanks to 2002sl2no4 for finding the error

2002sl2no4
08-24-2007, 07:13 AM
Opps... looked liked I fat fingered the write up on the DC adapter. Inverted the really only relevant point... The power leads.

Had +/- inverted... fixed it... sorry guys, and thanks to 2002sl2no4 for finding the error

Quoting Dan the Man...

Power
Ever long for a power cord for your Sgii so you didn't have to go back out to your car with a pen to transcribe data. Turns out they are simple to make.

Edit: Had +/- inverted... fixed it... sorry guys, and thanks to 2002sl2no4 for finding the error

First lets name stuff. Call the button with the red circle around it the HOME key. Now look at the pins that you plug the plug into closest to the home key. Now call the copper wire closest to the home key PIN1 and the wire furthest from the home key (on that connector) PIN8. To power Sgii outside of your car, hook a 9v battery too it. <Edit> Negative (-) to PIN1 and Positive (+) PIN8 </Edit>

(end quote)

I reversed the reversed polarity of the 9V battery on my power cable. Yes, lower pin 1 is NEG and upper pin 8 is POS. Works great. Now I too can show off my SGII both in and out of my car.

-Dave
2002sl2no4 (on my 4th and not last Saturn S-series to own)

Dan
08-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Added.....

Procrastination Mode
I don't know about you, but I'm all for putting off till tomorrow, what should be done today. On that note, it's always a bit of a chore to sit down and write all my "CURRENT" mpg from trip to trip. "TANK" and "TODAY" I know will still be there when I get back to my car, but once SG goes to sleep, "CURRENT" is gone. So I figured out a way to make "CURRENT" stick (mpg at least), so you can dash into that meeting your late for, rest assured that you can log the data when you get back. Here's how.

1) Right before you power down, just go and peak at the "CURRENT" mpg.
2) Once that screen is up, power-down, and run like mad to catch your meeting.
3) When you return to the car, relaxed, pull out a pen and watch closely when you power up your car. For 1 second, your "CURRENT" mpg is still there.
4) Write it down quickly before it goes away and hypermile home.

I actually use this a lot since my garage is west facing. It gets well over 100 in there when I pull in, and the last thing I want to do is sit in that sauna and jot down figures. I usually catch it after dinner instead.

xcel
08-28-2007, 02:58 AM
Hi Dan:

___That might be a Prius specific quirk? The Ranger and Accord hold “Current” for a second before blasting it into the ether if it was displayed previously and before turning the key some time in the future.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Dan
05-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Picked up a discussion on daisy-chaining from another thread:Did anyone notice that Wayne had 2 SG-IIs in his Prius about 1:01 into the results video? I'm assuming that since an SG-II can only display 4 gauges at a time, Wayne somehow managed to patch his other SG-II into the car's computer to display 4 additional gauges.

Here's the link to the results video from this morning...
http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_vi...er500202.shtml

Wayne, is this something you could elaborate on for us? Would be nice to know if it's possible to patch another SG-II into the same OBD2 port for additional information.

Congratulations again on a successful experiment. CBS did a wonderful job on the reporting.

Thanks,

JeffJeff, this can be done by hooking the second Scanguage into the other port of the original Scanguage. You only need to get a cable that has the connector that plugs into the Scanguage itself on both ends.Sweet! So the SG-IIs can be daisy chained together. I never thought it was possible but makes complete sense with the extra port. Thanks for the tip :)

~ JeffI'm not completely sure but there is probably a limit on how many can be daisy-chained together. Maybe 3 or 4? Anyone else know?No limit, but your ECU may start dropping packets from the OBDII port if you try to push too much I/O through it. Last I talked to Ron (Mr. ScanGauge) he said the limit for most vehicles is around 8 gauges. So going beyond 2 gauges could be problematic. When I talked to Wayne Sunday I suggested he set the polling rate to "SLOW" if he ran into trouble.

There is more info on Daisy-Chaining back at the beginning of this thread.

Webmls
05-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Hey gang, I am a new hypermiler (wannabe). I just rented a Prius and pegged about 71 mpg average on the highway by finding the vorticies around trucks. I was quite surpirsed to find out that a semi has a pocket 100 or so feet back that GREATLY improves mileage, and doesn't run the risk of netting you a ticket for tailgating. I also found that the vortex behind a truck was not really at a set distance, so having the on the fly mileage meter on the Prius was really helpful for keeping in the pocket.

Well.... now I am back in my 98 Windstar (no instantaneous meter) and trying to figure out how to find and keep in the pocket. I would greatly appreciate any info and comments from people who have a Scanguage. Feel free to email me at xxx@xxxx.xxxx if you are near Cincinnati, I'll buy you lunch and trade ideas... (xxx) xxx-xxxx if you want to call.

Thanks in advance - Patrick

Fluxuated
05-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Patrick, you might want to edit out your phone number. Probably not a good idea giving out that info in a very public place. Up to you though, Good Luck.

Dan
05-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Hey gang, I am a new hypermiler (wannabe). I just rented a Prius and pegged about 71 mpg average on the highway by finding the vorticies around trucks. I was quite surpirsed to find out that a semi has a pocket 100 or so feet back that GREATLY improves mileage, and doesn't run the risk of netting you a ticket for tailgating. I also found that the vortex behind a truck was not really at a set distance, so having the on the fly mileage meter on the Prius was really helpful for keeping in the pocket.Here's a good explination of wind currents on the highway:

CleanMPG and Drafting

Dan
05-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks in advance - PatrickDidn't see your Post count...

Welcome to CleanMPG. Glad to have you on board.

71 in a Prius is a real slam dunk too. Especially with HW miles thrown in there.

Kevin108
05-24-2008, 08:02 AM
How's this for explaining the 9v mod?

http://kevin108.com/forums/cleanmpg/sg9v1.jpg

Dan
05-24-2008, 01:02 PM
How's this for explaining the 9v mod?

http://kevin108.com/forums/cleanmpg/sg9v1.jpgYou got it. Thanks for the graphic

Kevin108
05-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Always glad to help out. Since I just made up my cable and had the camera close, I thought I'd throw this together.

http://kevin108.com/forums/cleanmpg/sg9v1.jpg
1. Follow the directions provided by others to establish what we're hooking up.

http://kevin108.com/forums/cleanmpg/sg9v2.jpg
2. Source any cable with wires and a RJ45 connector.

http://kevin108.com/forums/cleanmpg/sg9v3.jpg
3. Cut off 4"-6" of the cable.

http://kevin108.com/forums/cleanmpg/sg9v4.jpg
4. Strip the first layer of insulation from the cable and source a 9v pad.
(I pulled mine out of the battery backup compartment of an old alarm clock.)

http://kevin108.com/forums/cleanmpg/sg9v5.jpg
5. Carefully inspect the RJ45 connector. On mine, orange/white is pin 1 and brown is pin 8.

http://kevin108.com/forums/cleanmpg/sg9v6.jpg
6. I cut off the excess wires. This step is optional.

http://kevin108.com/forums/cleanmpg/sg9v7.jpg
7. Retrieve the cable end from the cats who stole it while you went out on the balcony to talk to the neighbors.

http://kevin108.com/forums/cleanmpg/sg9v8.jpg
8. Determine which terminal on the battery is which. Remember that it is reversed on the pad.

http://kevin108.com/forums/cleanmpg/sg9v9.jpg
9. Strip about ˝" of insulation off the wires. This can be difficult as the wires are small.

http://kevin108.com/forums/cleanmpg/sg9v10.jpg
10. Cross the appropriate wires and twist them together. Pin 1 is negative, pin 8 is positive.

http://kevin108.com/forums/cleanmpg/sg9v11.jpg
11. Separate the wires with electrical tape or something else that will not conduct electricity.

http://kevin108.com/forums/cleanmpg/sg9v12.jpg
12. Once again retrive the cable from the cats who stole it while you were getting your ScanGauge out of your car.

http://kevin108.com/forums/cleanmpg/sg9v13.jpg
13. Tape up the wires and try out your untethered ScanGauge.

http://kevin108.com/forums/cleanmpg/sg9v14.jpg
14. Play with the cats with the ScanGauge reflecting the sun on the ceiling.

Right Lane Cruiser
05-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Nice work, Kevin! :)

Kevin108
05-26-2008, 11:41 PM
Thanks! Sorry for the quality of some of the photos. I wanted to shoot them all in natural daylight and did so through a screen door. In some of the photos, the screen casts a very obvious shadow. I just have just gone outside, but then the boys wouldn't haven't been able to help. :D

Skwyre7
05-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Great pictures, Kevin! I especially liked the ones of the cats helping. :D

fusion210
05-27-2008, 05:50 PM
I'll have to try that battery backup mod out. :)

I'm not familiar with the output a scan gauge II has, would it be possible for someone to come up with a way to plug it into a laptop for data logging?
I love the real time information, but I think a data logging feature would make it so much nicer.

Right Lane Cruiser
05-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Linear Logic has been talking about making data logging available for a while now with a proprietary cable at extra expense, but that feature hasn't made an appearance yet. To my knowledge the device doesn't have any defined way to extract the data stream right now.

Akpsdvan
06-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Not sure which slows the work down more, cats or dogs.... both can steal the parts and make it real hard to get back and work on , that is if the part has not been trashed....

Xringer
06-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks guys! Nice work.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f147/Xringer/CRV/SG29VDC.jpg
Now, I have to get out my VOM and find out how much current my SC2 is using.
(And while it's asleep)..

Cheers,
Rich

Kevin108
06-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Should be none while it's asleep. Is uses non-volatile memory and most likely shuts down completely when off.

Xringer
06-04-2008, 03:44 PM
This battery is a little worn out.. (The smoke detector didn't like it anymore).
So, the currents I'm seeing are being supplied by a 7 to 8 volt source.

Anyways, with the back light on it draws around 100 MA.
With the back light off, it's about 50 MA.
When it's asleep, 12.3 MA (well something has to be watching the Home button). ;)

Only in sleep mode does the current stay stable. When the display is on,
the current bounces up and down 15 or 20 MA (Maybe while sending commands?)

So, I recommend that indoor users keep the back lighting off and when you
are finished reading your data, unplug the 9V.

Marty B
01-08-2009, 07:54 AM
2F - Fuel Level Input (Tank fill percentage ... I think). 0-100%. A possibly more accurate guess gauge.

Hi All,
This is my first Post here. Great Forum. Tons of cool info and knowledgable folks!

I have tried to get this to work on my 2004 Honda CRV with no luck. I have not been able to confirm that the 04 CRV supports this input.

Has anyone with a Honda gotten this to work?

Xringer
01-08-2009, 09:36 AM
I've read somewhere about that code not working on a Toyota. No Honda info.

Perhaps you could just use an X-gauge display of Fuel Remaining for TANK trip?
TXD 24 ??

When you get to the Name screen, you could use GAS or EGR (Expensive Gas Remaining) :rolleyes:

Since it's calculated by the SG2, it's going to be a pretty accurate display of the actual fuel
remaining in the tank. (If you have a good calibration).

Most of the FILLUPs on my old CRV are within 0.2 of a gallon, when using the same pump.

Marty B
01-08-2009, 10:14 AM
I saw the Calculated fuel remaining. I had hoped to get a measured fuel level from the tank. The DashDAQ (another OBD scanning system) advertises the Fuel Level Input as available for their unit in a Honda.

It might be that I do not have the XGauge set up correctly. It can be pretty cryptic. I emailed the folks at Linear Logic and of course got no response.

I will keep trying. :)

Thanks!

Xringer
01-08-2009, 12:16 PM
I have not used any other codes besides those in the SG2 manual, so I'm the wrong guy to be replying to you.

But, I have used a few of the standard XGauge functions to display Current trip MPG
and a couple of other trip items that I wanted to see while I was driving.
(Without stepping down into the Trip menu)..

I suggest you use the manual and try using one of the standard codes (like I did),
so you can make sure you are getting that simple XGuage programming sequence right..
(page 28).

Mine have been in there working for so long, I'll have to read the manual again,
to understand how I did it the first time! :o

But, now that I've looked at pages 24 to 27, I'm interested in trying out some of
that stuff.. If I can get the percentage of gas left to display, I'll come back and post info..

CarlD
01-08-2009, 12:27 PM
I saw the Calculated fuel remaining. I had hoped to get a measured fuel level from the tank. The DashDAQ (another OBD scanning system) advertises the Fuel Level Input as available for their unit in a Honda.

It might be that I do not have the XGauge set up correctly. It can be pretty cryptic. I emailed the folks at Linear Logic and of course got no response.

I will keep trying. :)

Thanks!What protocol is your vehicle? Is it CANLF or CANLS?

Xringer
01-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Marty has a newer CRV, but my 1999 seems to use KWPF.
I used More-More-Mode and it displayed KWPF.

I set it to AUTO and took it back out to the car, where it reset itself back to KWPF..

Sadly, I can't find much info about KWPF in the pdf files at the SG site.

Marty B
01-08-2009, 08:17 PM
I am not sure which one. I guess I need to do a little more research.
Thanks guys :)

Xringer
01-08-2009, 09:47 PM
I am not sure which one. I guess I need to do a little more research.
Thanks guys :)

Just hit More-More-Mode and it will be displayed.. Bet it's the same as mine.

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.